Minute hand not moving

Not spotted anything yet, but I have nearly dissembled her, apart from the hairspring does not want to move. Is that because I did not remove a part on the other side of the plate? At 1 o'clock ish in the picture is a screw holding something I didn't recognize from my first project - so thought I best leave it alone. Is that whats causing my issue now with the hairspring?

DSCF2155.JPG

Hi Buzz,

Its the cap jewel as Marc said. If its really dirty it may affect the movement of the balance. Since you mention the balance does not move this could be the problem.

If the balance can be moved manually (with a bit of pegwood) thru its full motion then the pivots are dirty.

If the balance hits a 'stop' at some point it could be the roller jewel has slipped out of its fork.

Too many variables to cover without going further in depth.

Anil

• Like 1

Basically the clutch wheel (under the red arrow below) will move in the arow direction when the crown is pulled to the hand setting position.

There should be a wheel where I have placed a star (intermediate wheel) which in turn moves the minute wheel (the big gear visible). The minute wheel will turn the cannon pinion (teeth on the big circle) and the hour wheel (small gear).

possible problems..

1. Clutch wheel is moved towards the middle of the watch by the interaction of the set lever(the piece which holds the stem in) and the clutch lever. For this the spring needs to be set correctly.

2. Missing teeth.

3. Stem incorrect or worn stem. The clutch wheel has a square hole which fits onto a square section of the stem. If the hole or stem is worn the watch won't wind.

3. Broken tip on stem will not allow the clutch wheel to mesh correctly with the intermediate wheel.

These are just a few of the things I can think of..

HTH

Anil

Edited by anilv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, anilv said:

Basically the clutch wheel (under the red arrow below) will move in the arow direction when the crown is pulled to the hand setting position.

There should be a wheel where I have placed a star (intermediate wheel) which in turn moves the minute wheel (the big gear visible). The minute wheel will turn the cannon pinion (teeth on the big circle) and the hour wheel (small gear).

possible problems..

1. Clutch wheel is moved towards the middle of the watch by the interaction of the set lever(the piece which holds the stem in) and the clutch lever. For this the spring needs to be set correctly.

2. Missing teeth.

3. Stem incorrect or worn stem. The clutch wheel has a square hole which fits onto a square section of the stem. If the hole or stem is worn the watch won't wind.

3. Broken tip on stem will not allow the clutch wheel to mesh correctly with the intermediate wheel.

These are just a few of the things I can think of..

HTH

Anil

With this movement I think the mount that the wheel goes on is part of the setting lever spring, so make sure you have it and that it is not worn and the mount is in good order. 

• Like 1