Click and Click Spring Problem on a 2836-2

For some reason the click seems to ride up over the click spring. I am wondering if some sort of spacer was used to keep the click swivel in the hole so it didn't 'flop' around as there seems to be remnants of a waxy looking substance lying around in that area of the watch. Without some kind of spacer there is enough 'give' for the click to twist sideways enough for it to miss the spring entirely.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, I'd love to hear how you solved it.

Thank you

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you have a picture of the click spring and the spot you are talking about? That will help a lot. Still, from what you are saying I'm thinking that maybe the spring is either broken or something unusual is happening there...This spring should be, if I remember correctly, an almost circular wire with one end twisted up and the other down...hard to explain though. Is that what you have? Also, the click is like a misshapen semicircle with a deep dent on the side forming two dissimilar lobes and on the opposite side what resembles, to me, like a beak of a "cute" bird! Sorry, I don't know how to explain it...in any case, is that what you have? 

Hi Bob

The spring is just a U shape - the click looks a bit like a rabbit. Mark has a video of the very same click mechanism in his video on a 2824 movement. The spring and the click don't seem to meet where they should but the spring isn't bent or anything and there is no debris in the slot where the spring goes or the anywhere else. I've worked on this same movement before and never had this problem. It's just kind of strange.

I will try to take a photo when I get back home but the aforementioned video shows the very same mechanism. The only difference is the click in the video is smaller than the one in mine.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Yeah, I'm not good at animal shapes so, absolutely, a rabbit will work. :) I still think that the U shape spring belongs to the keyless work and not the power train. The later is usually circular with points sticking out in both directions perpendicular to the "circle" itself. I will watch that video again to make sure we are talking about the same spring...and the same movement as I remember it.

• Like 1

Yeah, animal shapes work better with my granddaughters...especially with clouds when driving long distances. 

I should've said the stuff that goes under the crown wheel. That narrows it down a bit and 'stuff' is a really technical term...

Dave

Hi Dave, Just done a 2832 this morning, similar movement. The U shaped spring is slightly shorter on one-sided & if I remember it's the shorter side that adds the tension against the rabbit part.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sounds like it has been replaced by the wrong spring at some time? The spring should be flat on one side and have the same height as the slot. When you mount the wheel the spring has no change of sliding over the click 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hi Bob et al

I examined the spring with more magnification and it appears it has gotten twisted on one side which makes it impossible for it to work. I need to order some other things so I'll just buy a couple of them - an heir and a spare.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the click won't stay put and insist on bouncing over the spring so it doesn't produce the desired ratchet effect on the crown wheel.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to file down the part of the click that makes contact with the spring so there is more room between the click and the spring.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Thank you for your suggestion. That is something I considered but the parts are new. I'm wondering if the mating tip is slightly slanted so that it allows it to slip over the spring. But it worked before, so...

Anyway, I'll take a look at it tomorrow; my day is pretty full.

How about a worn stud or hole depending on where the rabbit dwells on the main plate? Maybe your rabbit is the wrong one...skinnier than the one Roger just pictured? Roger's rabbit looks kind of well fed (fatter)...Well, just to go on with the animal theme here! :) 

In brief, check out where that part fits and see if it is damaged. Just my take on it.

Cheers,

Bob

I am beginning to suspect that there is too much play in the hole/stud swivel point and that allows the bunny too much play - hence the problem.

It almost looked like the hole had been sized with some kind of wax to keep the bunny flush with the spring. This might be why it worked a couple of times and then, when the sizing material wore out, the click didn't work right.

Dave

Exactly, Dave. That's what I meant and you may either need to find a way to close the hole a little if possible (which I have never done) or find another main plate...hopefully from a donor movement? It is sad that a perfectly fine movement has to be "discarded" so to speak because of such a small -- or not so small -- problem. I wonder if there is anything that can be "melted" in that hole to accept the bunny again?