Seiko Detent

Okay got this back for stem replacement from watch repairman, now when I try to insert stem, even with release pushed, it's a no go, (stem will not engage), took off primary (two screw) winding wheel and appears to be some minor wear on plate, also found a loose screw floating about. Is it possible he did not remove a bit of broken stem, everything lines up on the stem as far as distance to detent. The question is, how can I know for sure the detent is bad? thanks in advance. 

post-1800-0-75931800-1458058340_thumb.jp

Okay got this back for stem replacement from watch repairman, 

It has to go back to "watch repairman". Since presumably you have paid for the repair he has to make up for his mistakes.

Sound strange? Maybe the screw is from the setting lever spring? What happens when you press the release button? Any resistance? 

There is some resistance, like you would find normally, just that the stem does not want to stay in. I will check 8306 parts diagram and see how much needs to be taken down to get to lever spring, thanks.

It has to go back to "watch repairman". Since presumably you have paid for the repair he has to make up for his mistakes.

His English is as good as my Russian, so we do have communication issue. I only let him do the stem, so technically he got that part right. Your opinion is correct, since he is not in my general vicinity,(40 min trip) I will take it back, but if it's the detent, then I'm throwing some more $$ at it. Watch is running so that's what I get for trying to get away cheaply! thanks!

His English is as good as my Russian, so we do have communication issue. I only let him do the stem, so technically he got that part right. Your opinion is correct, since he is not in my general vicinity,(40 min trip) I will take it back, but if it's the detent, then I'm throwing some more $$ at it. Watch is running so that's what I get for trying to get away cheaply! thanks!

You're generous in forgiving his lack of professionalism. In his country he would would have been nailed until the complete watch was working 100%. Now it can be the stem detent or other issue, but you have to take it up yourself patiently.

Edited by jdm

I've got to say the setting lever is riding high and not engaging with the stem, hence why the stem is not engaging, I personally would be stripping the calender side of the movement to get to the setting mechanism. Anyone worth their salt will be able to do that in job within the hour.

I've got to say the setting lever is riding high and not engaging with the stem, hence why the stem is not engaging, I personally would be stripping the calender side of the movement to get to the setting mechanism. Anyone worth their salt will be able to do that in job within the hour.

agreed, i'm not really confident to attempt this myself, at first I thought the stem may have been cut too short, when I removed movement and re-inserted stem/crown there was a pronounced double click, and the stem was fully inserted, not taking any thing away from the repairman I took it to, he wanted me to leave and said he would fix. My decision to not leave it, here is how it should look. Copped this from a repair website. Crown in pic is not same.

post-1800-0-63139500-1458090655_thumb.jp

Maybe not the easiest Seiko movement to work on? There are a lot of parts in the keyless work and around the date mechanism? 

That's why I didn't want to attempt myself. Like I previously stated the watch is running strong and the last thing I want to do is muck it up for something that should be fairly straightforward. Seems like the simplest things are the most difficult!

And that innocent looking little spring sitting there can be hell to replace, did one of that model up a while ago, it had a broken setting lever spring, the bit with the three notches- won't retain the stem if broken.

And that innocent looking little spring sitting there can be hell to replace, did one of that model up a while ago, it had a broken setting lever spring, the bit with the three notches- won't retain the stem if broken.

yeah that spring looks like its just sitting there held in by lever and notch in plate, I have 'slept' on this and will return to my watch guy, don't mind throwing a few more bucks at this, but even I have a budget....thanks for input