Longines Update And Heritage Questions

So I've been really busy, but I'm finally getting to the end of my vintage Longines repair journey, (http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/3441-longines-balance-stud-screw/), and I thought it would be interesting to see what the Longines heritage people have to say about the piece.

Good news - apart from the hands, 70 years on, it appears to be pretty much as Longines intended. Those VERY nice people at Longines even sent me a photo.

Confusing news. All the Longines serial number databases suggest the watch (s/n 7'258'970) was born in 1946... But the heritage people tell me it was invoiced in October 1947. I've seen this before, but with an even bigger discrepancy. Does anyone have an explanation?

Even more confusing is trying to translate the extract from the archive. Can anyone help me out?

post-1028-0-62703900-1457379358_thumb.jp

My guess is...

Gold 14k pink

Straight edges

Bevelled bezel

Applied lugs

17mm Spring bars

Crown H - hermetic? I'd call it dust proof

"Gl plate concave" - I have no idea how something can be both flat and concave...

Eggly is the case maker, no idea what the 7 means

23m is the calibre

Round 12 ligne

Dial with curved edges

If anyone has any better ideas, please advise.

Thx

S

• Like 1

I feel like it has to do with the crown too (maybe): 

Gl plate concave

Gold plated concave

Never mind, after some thought, here is a revised idea:

Gl = Glace (on Longines's website, that's how they refer to the glass)

plate = flat (there would be a dot after it if it were an abbreviation for plated, and the word "Glace" is feminine, so the adjective needs the "e" at the end)

Concave (can't be the crown, it would be convex, not concave...)

in summary : Gl plate concave

Concave glass, with a flat top ? (concave on the inside, flat on the outside)

• Like 2

Hi Frenchie,

Thanks for your help on this one. I got Couronne, the H could be almost anything, but the one in the picture looks just like the one on the watch, so I'm good with that.

I like your suggestion for "gl." - I decided to write back to Longines and ask for confirmation. If correct, I have the wrong glass and might replace that... Or might just leave well alone as I suspect one of these would give very little clearance.

S

Confusing news. All the Longines serial number databases suggest the watch (s/n 7'258'970) was born in 1946... But the heritage people tell me it was invoiced in October 1947. I've seen this before, but with an even bigger discrepancy. Does anyone have an explanation?

The serial number database is only a rough estimate, sometimes it can be a year or two out.

Also, fairly common for some movements to be shipped out at a later date from when they were made. 

• Like 1

Spot on Frenchie - 10 out of 10 for the crystal suggestion, go to the top of the class.

oldhippy, it would have been great to have access to that spares inventory, but I doubt you had much need for 23m movement parts as I believe these were made specifically for the American market. At just 3mm thick it is certainly the thinnest movement I have ever worked on, and everything felt just a little fragile. The hairspring wasn't running flat and that was critical to stop it catching the centre wheel. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur so this was a challenge for me! A new balance staff wouldn't have gone amiss, but that is definitely off my capability list just yet - still looking for that £50 lathe bargain!

S

Spot on Frenchie - 10 out of 10 for the crystal suggestion, go to the top of the class.

oldhippy, it would have been great to have access to that spares inventory, but I doubt you had much need for 23m movement parts as I believe these were made specifically for the American market. At just 3mm thick it is certainly the thinnest movement I have ever worked on, and everything felt just a little fragile. The hairspring wasn't running flat and that was critical to stop it catching the centre wheel. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur so this was a challenge for me! A new balance staff wouldn't have gone amiss, but that is definitely off my capability list just yet - still looking for that £50 lathe bargain!

S

This has got me thinking I can remember something about them making the thinnest watch on the market but I never ever repaired one. Do you know what year they started to produce these? or is my memory having a senior moment. :D

This has got me thinking I can remember something about them making the thinnest watch on the market but I never ever repaired one. Do you know what year they started to produce these? or is my memory having a senior moment. :D

The 23m came onto the market in 1939. If your memory of your working life goes back that far then I'm really impressed! Longines had another couple of thinnest movements that might be more in your era... 2.95mm auto (L990) in 1977 and 1.98mm Quartz in 1979.

S

The 23m came onto the market in 1939. If your memory of your working life goes back that far then I'm really impressed! Longines had another couple of thinnest movements that might be more in your era... 2.95mm auto (L990) in 1977 and 1.98mm Quartz in 1979.

S

I would be impressed as well. It would be the other two 1977 and 1979.