Omega Seamaster Gmt Problem

Hi

(Apologies for the post length but the full story may help)

A couple of years ago my 50th anniversary model GMT developed a problem, the 12 hour hand was moving on intermittently and did not jump one full hour when crown turned. The guy who usually looks after my watches was too busy so i found another repairer quite local. Watch was serviced and all appeared well but after several weeks i noticed the date was changing at 0600 hours. I sent it back and it was rectified but after a few weeks it was doing the same. This went on for a while but communications broke down between us so i just wore the watch as was.

The 12 hour hand is now sticking at 1000 and twitches but doesn't move on. The guy i know is not as busy now so has the watch but he can't seem to identify the problem. He is well experienced (50+ years) but doesn't use the internet hence me seeking advice. He has replaced the 24 hour wheel (looked ok but has a clutch and i read this can cause problems), setting wheel and experimented with various tensions on the date change wheel spring. He has said close inspection of wheels show no signs of wear and damage and there are no setting / timing marks he can see. Movement is 1128 24 hour.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary

To be honest with you if two professional watchmakers (one having 50 years experience) could not fix your watch, this would be the right time to give it to Omega, in Switzerland if so has to be. Also be aware that Omega has stopped selling parts to independent watchmakers.

Hi[/size](Apologies for the post length but the full story may help)[/size]The 12 hour hand is now sticking at 1000 and twitches but doesn't move on. He has replaced the 24 hour wheel (looked ok but has a clutch and i read this can cause problems), setting wheel and experimented with various tensions on the date change wheel spring. He has said close inspection of wheels show no signs of wear and damage and there are no setting / timing marks he can see. Movement is 1128 24 hour. Any advice greatly appreciated.[/size]Thanks in advance[/size]Gary[/size]

I'm wondering if the dial washer has been left out during one of the repair. If it's missing it could allow the hand wheel assemblies to move vertically and possibly slip out of gear. Possibly replacing the 24 hour was required and fitted during the first repair, but without a dial washer problems similar to what you describe may happen.

If your watchmaker really knew his stuff, he would know that there are no timing marks on any of the gears, as all the hours and minute hands would be fitted a 12.00 just as the date trips. After that everything is set from the crown in the normal manner. Another thing, there is no way the tension in the date jumper will go out during normal use, it would have had to be damaged during disassembly or reassembly. There is a very good chance there is an issue with the spring after he has messed about with it, which is a shame, as it wouldn't have been related to your initial problem.

• Like 1

My suggestion is send the watch to Mark if that is convenient to you, just PM him. Other than that, (meaning alternatively/second choice) and assuming from what you said that you don't have the means to do the service yourself professionally, I'd have the watch repaired by the Omega people (probably more expensive and really not necessarily better regardless of means).

I have worked on these in the past and even owned one. I had one in with exactly the same problem before. The problem is likely a special slipping hour wheel - not sure the part number as I am not at home.

The problem you may have would be with availability of this part as you may know the swatch group has currently pulled the plug on distribution of parts to independent watchmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe your movement (Omega 1128) is based on the eta 2892-A2 . You might seach for parts for your watch on that basis.

But ETA 2892 doesn't a GMT function, where possibly the problem (which has not even been identified so far) lies.

Beside, ETA has also restricted parts sales.

Re reading the thread. I thought the original problem was fixed. If the hour hand isn't catching then it has to be slipping. If it was me I would be changing the cannon pinion and hour wheel if no obvious cause can be found. If you can't get the parts and eta substitute isn't available, it's sad.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's hope then. Just the thought of sending the watch back to Omega would make my wallet feel vulnerable. Seems to me these manufacturers restrictions is a licence to print money in regards to servicing and repairs.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's hope then. Just the thought of sending the watch back to Omega would make my wallet feel vulnerable. Seems to me these manufacturers restrictions is a licence to print money in regards to servicing and repairs.

I agree completely. The only reason why I had suggested to send it to Omega Switzerland is to give the OP a "safe heaven" as he has been unlucky with two independents so far. But since Mark has indicated he has an exact idea that would be a next logical move also.

Hi

Thanks for all your advice.  

I also posted on another forum where a guy responded with the likely solution mentioned above with a video of the exact problem (hour hand slipping at 10 oclock) and details of the twin wheel hour hand.  They are available in 3 heights on the internet (apparently the models vary).  I have used the local guy for many years, he does almost all watch and jewellery repairs for our 2 local jewellers (for the past 30+years) but not using the internet he sometimes struggles for parts now as several suppliers are online only and cannot benefit from the shared knowledge of forums like this.   

I'm not sure what the initial guy did when he completed the service but timekeeping was spot on and he refinished the small link bracelet (with alternate polished and brushed links) to perfection. It was ok for several weeks when i got it back but then the date change started playing up again.  I'm not a watchmaker / repairer just an enthusiast.  

Thanks again, i'll post to confirm if this solves the problem.