Mainspring 'safety'

Folkvisor

Manual wind watches have the end of the mainspring attached to the barrel wall, like this:

MainspringEnds.jpg

Automatic watches are not attached the the barrel wall, they have basically an extra long tongue end, that causes friction on the side of the wall, when it is wound past full wind, it slips. Most manual watches are either a swiss tongue end, or a double brace anchored end.

Cad your answer boils down to commas (?spelling) but the instrument shouldn't be tempered to make a difference...that's my take on it! Hey, this will soon be a "know everything" forum! :D

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Now, back to mainsprings, ta da! :)

Cad your answer boils down to commas (?spelling) but the instrument shouldn't be tempered to make a difference...that's my take on it! Hey, this will soon be a "know everything" forum! :D

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Now, back to mainsprings, ta da! :)

I especially like 'mean' temperaments...LOL

I could never figure out why keys are even different when tuned with equal temperament; it's just transposing the same key - sort of. In a mean temperament keys actually sound very different. C major is very 'bright' and B minor is very 'dark'.

Anyway, who knew there were so many mainsprings. Kind of reminds me of a friend who only lives with a guy for 5 years - sort of. Variety I guess...

• Like 1

Hi folkvisor,

I don't know if I'm correct but as I remember, many, many years ago, from my conservatory classes, about non tempered instruments -- or normally if you would -- a tone was broken down into 7 audible particles=commas -- the smaller division a human ear can hear -- so a semitone would be made of 4 of those. Therefore, when going down the scale the distance from a tone to a semitone you only have 3 commas to reach the other tone and vice versa. So a G# != Ab but in a tempered instrument, (piano, guitar, etc) they just cut the tone into 2 equal parts making or 3.5 commas per semitone, therefore: G# == Ab. I also was told that there is a more involved explanation involving math but it is kind of useless for many musical purposes and this "concept" usually helps understand what happens.

@Geo: I know, we will be back on topic right away...just a little detour! :)

Hi folkvisor,

I don't know if I'm correct but as I remember, many, many years ago, from my conservatory classes, about non tempered instruments -- or normally if you would -- a tone was broken down into 7 audible particles=commas -- the smaller division a human ear can hear -- so a semitone would be made of 4 of those. Therefore, when going down the scale the distance from a tone to a semitone you only have 3 commas to reach the other tone and vice versa. So a G# != Ab but in a tempered instrument, (piano, guitar, etc) they just cut the tone into 2 equal parts making or 3.5 commas per semitone, therefore: G# == Ab. I also was told that there is a more involved explanation involving math but it is kind of useless for many musical purposes and this "concept" usually helps understand what happens.

@Geo: I know, we will be back on topic right away...just a little detour! :)

And you can mathematically prove that D# is different than Eb - no, not on a piano - BUT it sort of sounds different. Musicologists discuss this at some length regarding Till Eulenspiegel by Richard Strauss. Fascinating stuff...LOL