Watch Hand Press

Davey57

So I assume you use the rodico on the toothpick to hold the hand and then press in in with the press? I would love for you to provide a quick write up and perhaps a few photos showing the technique used. I am new at repairing watched and have two divers completely Refurbed to date and am starting on a Seiko 6139 Auto Chrono that will no doubt need new hands after the clean and restore.16331ef904b24fefabed97f82aceebf1.jpgd8de160bd4f17c3af139402c3779386f.jpg9f825a3521dd7daa8447f7c3d7825b96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I assume you use the rodico on the toothpick to hold the hand and then press in in with the press? I would love for you to provide a quick write up and perhaps a few photos showing the technique used. I am new at repairing watched and have two divers completely Refurbed to date and am starting on a Seiko 6139 Auto Chrono that will no doubt need new hands after the clean and restore.16331ef904b24fefabed97f82aceebf1.jpgd8de160bd4f17c3af139402c3779386f.jpg9f825a3521dd7daa8447f7c3d7825b96.jpg

I can't do any pikkies right now as I'm up in Singapore for a few days. However what I do is sort of Mount a blob of elongated rodico (not too big) on the end of a toothpick or preferably a longer piece of pegwood. Lay the hand face up on the bench top and press the rodico onto the pointer end, as if it's now an extension of the pegwood parallel to the benchtop. This allows the hand to be picked up and maneuvered at an ideal angle, a bit like using a pencil. Then its just a simple task of transferring it to the already aligned and setup movement in the press. A 5-10 power loupe is the trick here to getting it all aligned nicely, especially those second hands. Real simple and quick.

My experience is that, with a lot of practice hand setting with the hand held hand press tools is usually a smooth process. (but hand setting can at times be the most frustrating and difficult things you can do, at least if you have high standards for how precisely they're set.)

I have the set of 3 from bergeon, just having the singular one doesnt always give you the precision you need, the canon you're pressing the hand on to might be slightly larger or smaller than what you get with the single tool, which causes problems. It helps a lot to have the two other hand press tools.

I've also bought a cheap, indian made hand, bench sitting hand press and wish I hadn't bothered. it gathers dust in the cupboard, so if you are going to get a hand press I'd say be prepared to buy an expensive one for it to be worthwhile. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 2

Regretfully, there is no snap to hand setting!

hand setting can at times be the most frustrating and difficult things you can do, at least if you have high standards for how precisely they're set

which brings back my previous comment: if it snap, chances are the pivot or the hand broke or the hand will scratch the dial! :)

• Like 1

I have various hand pressing tools of all shapes and sizes and had some problems with the chrono type hands,  After getting advice from a sagacious forum member I bought a cheap hand press from China that is either a clone of the Horotec one or it is from the same stable and quite frankly it was worth getting.

Cheers,

Vic

I have various hand pressing tools of all shapes and sizes and had some problems with the chrono type hands, After getting advice from a sagacious forum member I bought a cheap hand press from China that is either a clone of the Horotec one or it is from the same stable and quite frankly it was worth getting.

Cheers,

Vic

Mine is in the mail. Not sure how the hands are attached to the tool, if they are at all. Could you show a photo of your hand pressing tool?

JD, you have to place the hands onto the pivots. The tool is only used to press the hand on, it does not hold them. The tool allows this to be done with a delicate touch and accuracy.

I use a jewel picker upper to pick up the hands without the fear of scratching them with tweezers. This is a tool with a tacky gel tip. Have a read of this thread for information on the picker upper. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1385-best-way-to-pick-up-jewels/?hl=%2Bjewel+%2Bpicker+%2Bupper#entry13144

• Like 1

hello jdrichard,

Here is a pic of what I got, The advice from George is as always sound and he advised me the same thing which I copied - I "borrow" one of my wifes crafting jewel pickers that she used in her cardmaking.

post-197-0-44447200-1457014026_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Failing a jewel picker. A cocktail stick with a bit of rodico on the end will do. If you drop the hand on the dial don't attempt to pick it up with tweezers. I've done it, in my ignorance and damaged a dial and wasn't aware until I held the movement up to the light. Wish I had found this forum earlier. Some great advice from some knowledgeable guy's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hello jdrichard,

Here is a pic of what I got, The advice from George is as always sound and he advised me the same thing which I copied - I "borrow" one of my wifes crafting jewel pickers that she used in her cardmaking.

attachicon.gifhands press.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

This tool is basically what I have coming. Thanks, I will now wait until it arrives before I attempt to put the new hands on the 7548 I just Refurbed. And the 6138 I am in the middle of. Again thanks.

Failing a jewel picker. A cocktail stick with a bit of rodico on the end will do. If you drop the hand on the dial don't attempt to pick it up with tweezers. I've done it, in my ignorance and damaged a dial and wasn't aware until I held the movement up to the light. Wish I had found this forum earlier. Some great advice from some knowledgeable guy's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just purchased 2 picker uppers from cousins uk this morning.

• 7 years later...

Hello dear forum, 

Could anyone with the cheap Indian/Chinese tool please tell me the diameter of the stakes where they are held by the tool?

Talking about this tool:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/hand-fitting-press-watch

Screenshot_20230913_091006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.66479c35ce96c4d9e5663f00800551cf.jpg

Why am I asking? 

I'm keen on using my Seitz jewelling press for hand setting. In fact, I've used it already a few times with nice success with the Seitz's own steel stakes/punches. Since it's really 100% perpendicular, I didn't cause any damage to hands YET. But, of course, them being hard metal, I am worried that I will eventually cause scratches. Now the idea: I want to buy only the hand fitting stakes from CousinsUK (see at the bottom of the link above) and hope that I can somehow fit them in my Seitz press spindle... But I'd need to know the initial diameter of the stakes. 4mm would be great, hahaha! 

Shout out especially to @jdrichard @Bimroy @Ishima @Vich who mentioned having the cheap tool. Thank you!