Was Am I Doing Wrong

I told a friend the I would instal a new crystal in his Fossil watch for him.

I did it successfully but I had to get the movement out so that I could press out the old crystal. This caused me loads of grief as I couldn't find where to press to release the winder and stem and I basically k****ered it up and the crown and stem wouldn't stay in and the watch wouldn't run.

I sourced a replacement movement which was new and the correct one ( Epson VX32E )

Took some time to find the correct place to press to get the stem back in and refitted the movement the result was the watch ran perfectly. However I had installed the second hand upside down and after a few hours wearing it dropped off.

Removed the stem and crown then the movement, refitted the second hand correctly and tried to refit the movement.

I just could not get the stem back into the movement. By pressing the lever I got it to go in , or so I thought , but it would only turn the hands, I couldn't get it to turn the date ring and the movement wouldn't run.

The stem is all the way in and flush with the case. I know that the stem has to be all the way in to run and also in one position the date can be altered but as I said it won't run or change the date.

Have I damaged the movement in taking out and refitting the stem a couple of times ?

Is there anything I can do to get it running again ? 

If I get another movement what do I have to do differently to avoid the same thing happening again.

It is a matter of personal pride to get the watch working again so can anyone shed any light as to what I have done wrong.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, try fitting the stem with the movement out of the case. You don't have to press anything when fitting the stem. If everything works, that means the the stem is a little short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by steven

No ro63rto the end is still intact.

Steven I suppose you could be correct but for the price of a new movement it's not with trying to get this one to pieces.

What could I have done wrong with this one as I don't want to do the same thing with the next one I get ?