Check Those Spring Bars!

DJW

OK, 2 broken Balance staffs in 2 days on the same watch because of CHEAP spring bars!

First staff broken when the lower spring bar gave way while walking my dog.....BANG! on the sidewalk! So I only replaced the spring bar that let go. I should have replaced them both, but Noooooo!

Second staff broken when at the Veterinary office with the same dog, the upper spring bar let go and the watch hit a tile floor! Bang! broken staff!

(Yes, this can be an issue when using non-shock protected movements like the Hamilton 10s movements I often use.)

But, when the spring bars are So cheap that there is not enough tension to keep them in place and your watch goes "Flying" 2 meters in the air and lands on a hard surface, even a shock protected movement will have a tough time surviving!

Take it from me, Buy quality spring bars! Or suffer this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-90-0-93520700-1396972178_thumb.jpg

I could just blame the dog! But by the looks of him, I think he's sorry as well!

post-90-0-64132200-1396972604_thumb.jpg

Shame about the balance staffs but hopefully some good will come from it.  I have in the past been able to pull a leather strap off the watch,  the reason is that the hole in the strap is a tight fit on the the case pin and it is possible by pushing and pulling the strap, as in vigorous activity,  to get the case pin to let go.  This is not something you would want happening with customer watches.

What a great dog,  mans best friend.

• Like 1