Smiths Pocket Watch Repair Help?

bosstaki

Hi guys, does anybody know how to disassemble this pocket watch? Or know how I can let the mainspring down on this pocket watch? It runs if you shake it for a while then it stops running? Any help would be really helpful guys, cheers [emoji3]2168a086c79545c97abe8941955cc4f2.jpg455b5ea62e845d8c365b540dca0091c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy one mate, to let the spring down you will need to hold the click back, it is located in the hole just to the right of the "F" on the balance adjustment. If you wind the crown a tiny bit you will see the click move, use a fine screwdriver to hold the click away from the mainspring barrel, keep control of the crown and gently ease the mainspring down . Hope this makes sense.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find any reference material for pocket watches at all on the net, unlike seiko etc where you can download full technical manuals with schematic drawings. With your pocket watch it's a case of stripping it blindly and taking photos every step of the way on your phone.

First off id let the main spring down, then release the movement from the case, two screws hold it in, then I would remove the hands, then dial ( careful you don't break the tabs holding the dial on) .

Now I would take off the plate that covers the main spring barrel and lift out the mainspring barrel.

Now proceed to remove the other screws that hold the plates Together, before you seperate the plates have a look at the hairspring and balance, the hairspring is pinned in and will lift out with the top plate but be careful of damaging it. If you are confident enough to re pin the hairspring ( it's quite easy just take your time ) then push out the brass pin now and then lift the plates apart.

Take note of the layout of the train, now remove the train, you will also most probably have had the setting mechanism shoot away from the movement when you seperated the plates. Put this to one side and once you have the train out try refitting the setting mechanism so you know how it sits at the top of the movement.

You should now have the watch in bits, congratulations now it's time to inspect and clean and get ready to reassemble. Let me know if you need any more guidance, I might have a few photos of a previous strip of a smiths movement that I could post to help you out if needed ok.

The balance staff very often in these movements wears down to what I can only describe as a blunt pencil, so it might need to be re-pointed this can only be done by lathe work, make sure the balance cups aren't worn. These are very easy to repair and shouldn't cause any problems. Good luck.

Whats the best way of repairing the cups mate, I'm pretty sure these are the biggest problem to non running movements like these "dollar" ones. I've cleaned and peg wood pivot holes oiled etc etc and still get an eratic runner and everything seems to point to the balance

• 3 months later...

I've just aqiured two, both with the same issue and one of them has a stainless steel case. One is 1972 and the stainless one is 1973.

The 1972 one I took apart and gave it a good clean and lube, plus a new mainspring. After a few winds she started going, but after a full wind it stopped after a while. I noticed that under tension the barrel was lifting out of alignment and thus jamming on the barrel plate. I guess that would be worn pivot holes in the plates and possibly the barrel arbor hole as well.

It'll be good fun drilling the holes out and fitting some bushes. Still worth the effort I think, just to keet it going.

I've seen a few old pocket watches online where repairs were carried out for similar issues by using a hole reducing stake. Yuck.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Fatfinger said:

Hi I'm a 80 year old newbie to the watch hobby and would like some help. I  have a Smith's pocket that works well in the upright position but stops when laid flat . Can anyone help 

Dial down stop indicates a fault at lower( main plate side)  balance pivot or it's jewel assembly.

I loosen the stud screw, remove balance+cock and disconnect the two( balance complete and cock). Check if a lower pivot exist, if so, a close up of the pivot under high magnification helps, if you have no access to high magnification, I drag pivots on a flat side of tweezers, a broken pivot feels different drag.

Good luck. 

The balance staffs on these movements should be like a sharpened pencil for the balance to operate correctly, as soon as they wear and go blunt the action slows down and eventually will only work one way. Also the cups also wear inside. The way to repair this is too remove the entire balance, remove the hairspring and re-point the staff on a lathe using a stone and a little oil. A small Arkansas stone is needed. If the cups are worn in side then a right size chamfer drill should be used. The only other way is to find a good unworn replacement. 

• Like 1