Vintage Omega Nightmare

NickP

Hello all,

A good friend has asked me if I could save her uncle's Omega 30SCT2 which she believes he acquired during WW2. 

Her father tried to have it fixed but to no avail. She is desperate to have it working for sentimental reasons.

I took it apart, cleaned it as best I could and have had to repair several parts which I sourced all around the world (thanks Ebay).

I have hit a problem that is totally new to me. The palette is not moving the escape wheel. I simply don't understand.

The only part I wasn't able to clean properly was the palette as the bridge has a screw I cannot budge. It is moving properly from the balance, but not turning the escape wheel.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Nick

post-1514-0-80256000-1450883131_thumb.jp

Is it that screw that won't budge? The red arrow? The green arrow you are missing the screw? I think the problem is in the pallet fork? Probably one of the stones in the pallet fork or the impulse jewel? Does the balance swings from side to side when you move it? If so does the pallet fork move? 

post-644-0-79946600-1450886453_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

Is it that screw that won't budge? The red arrow? The green arrow you are missing the screw? I think the problem is in the pallet fork? Probably one of the stones in the pallet fork or the impulse jewel? Does the balance swings from side to side when you move it? If so does the pallet fork move? 

attachicon.gifpost-1514-0-80256000-1450883131.jpg

Thanks rogart63. You are right about the screws. The balance moves fine and so does the pallet fork. It just isn't making correct contact with the escapement wheel.

Thanks rogart63. You are right about the screws. The balance moves fine and so does the pallet fork. It just isn't making correct contact with the escapement wheel.

So i think it must be the pallet fork? But you will need to remove the screw first? 

Let down the mainspring carefully, then remove the balance and pallet fork. Now wind the watch one or two clicks and the movement should spin freely. If it does, refit the pallet fork and wind the mainspring a couple of turns the very gently move the fork from one side to another, it should snap sharply in each direction. If none of the above are as they should be, you will have to strip the movement and check everything again to see where the problem lies.

There is also a possibility that you have fitted the balance in he wrong position, and the impulse jewel is locking up.

From a previous post I made on the subject:-

"This is the bit that gave me the most heartache when I started.

Wind the watch 1-2 turns and check that the escapement levers flicks sharply from side to side by gently pushing it with a dry oiler or tooth pick.

If all is well, fit the balance wheel. Make sure that you position the balance jewel correctly regarding the end of the lever. Looking down on the lever, if it lying to the right, ensure that the balance jewel is even further to the right when you drop the balance into position. Vice versa if the lever is lying to the left. As you turn the balance cock into the correct position the balance jewel will automatically engage the lever and watch should start running.

As a wee aside, when oiling a watch, do not oil the pivot jewels on the escapement lever."

Hi Geo,

Thanks so much for this.

The balance wheel turns freely and makes the palette fork moves with it. The problem is that it is not making proper contact with the escapement wheel.

The other problem I have is that I cannot shift one of the screws on the palette bridge. The one Rogart63.  Any suggestions for shifting a stubborn screw?

I have a Bergeon screw extractor, but not sure that is the right tool (even if I knew how to use it correctly).

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Geo,

Thanks so much for this.

The balance wheel turns freely and makes the palette fork moves with it. The problem is that it is not making proper contact with the escapement wheel.

The other problem I have is that I cannot shift one of the screws on the palette bridge. The one Rogart63.  Any suggestions for shifting a stubborn screw?

I have a Bergeon screw extractor, but not sure that is the right tool (even if I knew how to use it correctly).

Thanks for all your help.

Hi NickP 

Sorry for the abrupt end of my post. Could heat work to loosen the screw? Maybe heat it with a soldering iron? Just so much that it gets a little warm. A Bergeon screw extractor work so that you screw in a little pin in each end of the screw and then moves the complete tool or movement  . I think its just for screw that has no head? When the thread is suck in the movement .

Maybe you could as a last option remove the head of the screw? Sometimes that would make the thread so loose you could remove it by hand. 

Edited by rogart63

I'd go for Roger's soldering bolt method. Make sure the bolt has no solder of flux on it, then hold against the head of the screw. You ma have to do this a couple of times to get it to free off. Also make sure that your screwdriver is of good quality and a tight in the slot as well as full width of the screw head.

Nick, the pallet jewels might be out of alignment. Check the pallet jewels horizontally whether both jewels are flat. If it is, then the wheel train may be stuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We really need a little different picture of the pallet fork. On the side to still has the screw in if I greatly magnify the picture and use a little of my imagination it looks like the stone is angled downward.

In general if the pallet is moved by the balance but not the escape wheel, it's because the train is stuck. (and the pallet jewels move between two teethes of the escape wheel without locking it)

I understand you haven't remove the pallet, so you can't know if the train runs properly.

Remember that it's the pallet which lock the train, without the pallet the train runs freely.

If you wind the mainspring and see the train running you have a problem with the pallet, if not you have a problem with the train.  I would bet for the train.

• Like 1

I want to thank you so much for all your help guys. 

I have been desperately trying to get the pallet bridge off but that screw is will not budge. 

I have tried heating it but am not sure how much I should heat the screw for.

HI Nick,

I have a feeling that because the pallet bridge has only one screw now, it might have moved somewhat while tinkering with it and the pallet pivots -- with are delicate -- might have bent or broken (mostly broken in my mind). You need to disassemble the whole watch so no parts can get damaged -- and then you will be ready for a good cleaning and lub -- and try to remove that screw. I believe in the end you will need a new pallet or if you have the tools the staff...of course that is minimum because you still need to check that the pallet jewels are aligned properly.

In order to remove the screw, if it is turning but won't unscrew, you need to try and, while unscrewing it, with another tool push it up so the thread eventually engage. For this you will need to hold the whole thing in some sort of bench vise, etc. You'll need both hands! Also, take good care of not scratching more of what you absolutely need to! :)

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob