Canon Pinion Problem

syfre

Hello dear members,

I need some help about a problem i have on an old Illinois 18s

When i set the time, the canon pinion raise up and disengage the setting wheel.

I think this is a pretty common problem on vintage pocket watch, not the first time i get that.

As the CP was very tight i tried to loose it using a small broach, it help but not resolved totally the problem.

i would appreciate if anyone can help

Regards

Have you put between dial and hour hand wheel a washer? There should be special shaped washer installed to crate small tension to stop hour hand wheel from rising. Im not sure if I understud your problem correctly from your description...

Edited by Rafal

I have read that the only way to fix a over zelous indentation or as I had just too many indentations to create the friction is to broach them out. However it was not possible so I had to purchase a replacement one. Being a vintage pocket watch it will be difficult to source one.

There is an excellent artical (pp209 / 211) in one of Donald Carle books "Practical Watch Repairing" that covers this subject.

Thanks for the answers,

yes there is dial washer but a dial washer is for preventing the hour wheel to raise up.

Thanks for the Donal Carle tip, i don't know why i missed it ; my opinion was to turn a shoulder on the arbor at the position of the snap, this what DC describe. But before altering the arbor i wanted to be sure.

There is an interesting paper about canon pinion friction here :

http://elgintime.blogspot.fr/2012/01/mechanics-of-canon-pinion-friction.html

when reading it after DC explanations it become clearer.