Eta 2784 And 2824 Mainspring Barrel The Same?

number98

Hi guys, I'm currently servicing a eta 2784. I would like to change the mainspring but i can't find a new mainspring with barrel. So i was wondering can i drop in the eta 2824 mainspring with barrel inside? I have one 2824 mainspring with barrel lying around and i compared, they both looks the same, have the same diameter but the thickness is different. Apparently, the 2784 is thicker while the 2824 is thinner. This explains why the 2784 has additional 6 more hours. Thank you very much :)

• Like 1

Hi guys, I'm currently servicing a eta 2784. I would like to change the mainspring but i can't find a new mainspring with barrel. So i was wondering can i drop in the eta 2824 mainspring with barrel inside? I have one 2824 mainspring with barrel lying around and i compared, they both looks the same, have the same diameter but the thickness is different. Apparently, the 2784 is thicker while the 2824 is thinner. This explains why the 2784 has additional 6 more hours. Thank you very much :)

The GR spec for these springs is as follows.

2784:  H1.45  S 0.13    L420  Dia. 11

2824:  H1.25  S 0.125  L420  Dia. 12

The big difference is the height which might cause fitting issues with the barrel arbour & also there is a reduction in the real force given.

A GR 4011 or GR 4013-1 would be far better matches or the one Cousins suggests GR3149X.

Personally I only go away from the correct spec spring if I have no other option. For a cost of £7 odd I don,t think it,s really worth the risk.

• Like 2

The GR spec for these springs is as follows.

2784:  H1.45  S 0.13    L420  Dia. 11

2824:  H1.25  S 0.125  L420  Dia. 12

The big difference is the height which might cause fitting issues with the barrel arbour & also there is a reduction in the real force given.

A GR 4011 or GR 4013-1 would be far better matches or the one Cousins suggests GR3149X.

Personally I only go away from the correct spec spring if I have no other option. For a cost of £7 odd I don,t think it,s really worth the risk.

Hi clock boy thank you for the reply. Then what about its canon pinion, second wheel and hour wheel? Is it the same as 2824? Because i have a h3 2824 cp, hour and second for 2824 and i would like to put it to increase the hands height. They both looks the same, have the same diameter too! Thank you!

Hi clock boy thank you for the reply. Then what about its canon pinion, second wheel and hour wheel? Is it the same as 2824? Because i have a h3 2824 cp, hour and second for 2824 and i would like to put it to increase the hands height. They both looks the same, have the same diameter too! Thank you!

I do not know that & I expect few would. One must ask why are you increasing the height of the hands?

I do not know that & I expect few would. One must ask why are you increasing the height of the hands?

Because the hand catches each other. Also the hour hand is too near the dial. Scratching the dial a little bit. I just tried putting the 2824 second hand wheel. So far when I'm testing the freedom of the gear train it works. But I'm not sure will it works when i put in the balance or if it does, not sure will it causes any long term effect like the gear scratches other gear or something.

Because the hand catches each other. Also the hour hand is too near the dial. Scratching the dial a little bit. I just tried putting the 2824 second hand wheel. So far when I'm testing the freedom of the gear train it works. But I'm not sure will it works when i put in the balance or if it does, not sure will it causes any long term effect like the gear scratches other gear or something.

...are you sure that the dial is sitting down properly on the movement?

Is the movement & the watch case / dial original or are you fitting a different movement into the watch. If so the cannon pinion could be the wrong height.

The other issues could be the dial not sitting correctly, the hands pushed too tight against the dial or bent dials. A picture might be of some use so we can give some sound advise.

Is the movement & the watch case / dial original or are you fitting a different movement into the watch. If so the cannon pinion could be the wrong height.

The other issues could be the dial not sitting correctly, the hands pushed too tight against the dial or bent dials. A picture might be of some use so we can give some sound advise.

Its ok as i'll leave it as it is. Actually i wanted to put the 2784 into another watch case. But i changed my mine. Thanks for the help all!