Chrono Hand Tips/technique

Are there any special tips or techniques you guys use for refitting the centre seconds hand on a chrono to ensure it is bang on 12 or is it just practice practice practice?

I've removed and replaced the hand a few times and have it all lined up but as soon as I push it home I move it. I'm using just the normal cheap hand setting tool , do I need to invest in something better or are there any tips or advice you could give as it's getting rather frustrating now. Many thanks andy

If it is a mechanical movement, run the chronograph, press stop, then press and hold the reset. While still holding the reset button, align and fit the centre second hand. It has to be pressed on very firmly to prevent it rotating on the shaft by the violent action when used. Holding down the reset button ensures that the hammers are held tightly against the hearts while fitting the hand.

This is why there are special movement holders with buttons and lower jewel supports, to allow this to be done accurately and safely. Too much pressure when fitting the hand can move the lower jewel, and too little and the hand will move out of register when the button is pressed to reset the chronograph.

• Like 1

I use the same method as Geo also, but instead of using the Chinese tool Clockboy uses, I use the Horotec model.

When fitting hands with Chronograph ETA movements, I use either of these..

14278080241_7a6c66fe62_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

15781749153_92ac36f91c_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

23098052421_244a70ee44_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Only recently received the last movement holder, and its in poor shape, so will refurbish it.

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

Thanks guys I will get one of those ordered CB that was the sort of thing I was wondering about and now you have recommended it I'll order one up , and thanks Geo holding the reset button to hold everything in place sounds like just the sort of tip I was after. As for the movement holder the watch is still in its case and I'm doing it with the crystal removed. I was only fitting a new crown originally but the chrono hand moved when I was checking everything was working ok due to it not being on the shaft tightly enough as Geo mentions. Thanks again for the great advice much appreciated, will keep you informed as to how I get on

Thanks again guys , using the holding the reset button technique and the jewelling tool as a hand fitting tool it is now sorted , I don't suppose this is text book horology but it's worked lol 

I will get one of the tools Clockboy recommends but the UK supplied ones are around £20 to the Asian ones £8 and i wanted to get this done as it is for a friend and the ones from Asia seem to take around 3 weeks to turn up , but now it's done there is no hurry and i'll order one from Asia 

thanks again Andy

AD1C18CD-8E3A-4551-B40E-13C42EF89416_zps

• Like 1

I purchased the Chinese crap, but the quality was quite frankly, crap, and not worthy of using on any watch, no matter what value of the watch being worked on.

These Horotec models are perfectly suitable, I have all of these, its nice to have a choice which you can choose depending on the watch you are working with..

$(KGrHqV,!hEE-GMiqFmfBP9C0rSmug~~60_35.J

• Like 1

Hi Micky,

Me too, only I don't have as many levers as you do...honestly because I'm not sure about sizes. Which size levers do you recommend? ( I really like to add at least one more to keep company to the only one size I got).

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Micky,

Me too, only I don't have as many levers as you do...honestly because I'm not sure about sizes. Which size levers do you recommend? ( I really like to add at least one more to keep company to the only one size I got).

Cheers,

Bob

I find that I use the 4mm levers the most..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOROTEC-WATCH-HAND-LIFTING-LEVERS-4mm-/260653801068?hash=item3cb02d5e6c:m:mXEisHetELIO82OxRuddfyg

And for chronograph small hands, the 2.5mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOROTEC-WATCH-HAND-LIFTING-LEVERS-2-5mm-/260653799808?hash=item3cb02d5980:m:mXEisHetELIO82OxRuddfyg

23104235001_daf915aee4_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Thank you Micky, got them now on order!!! Yes, the small ones will be much better than the ones I got now for chronometer small hands I guess. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I already have the mat, so I don't need to order one. :)

PS2. My "tool-itis" is not too bad now that I order them!  :)