Why Do New Quartz Movement Stop Working

watchet

Recently I have experienced a lot of customer comeback jobs after replacing the movement the cust will com in saying watch is losing 5 -10 min per day we take is back in and it runs fine for a whole week not losing one minute (note I have someone where the watch during the day to see if that matters other days it just sits on my bench.  This may happen two or three times with the same watch finally we just put a new movement in.

Has any one else encounter this?

I had this once with my neighbours quartz watch. It seems to be effected by her magnetic bracelet that she wears for arthritis. When she moved the bracelet to her other wrist the problem went. I still have my doubts about this but that was only thing that was changed & the problem went.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen with a male customer, His watch kept coming back to me it would lose a great deal of time with him but not us after 5th time I asked him about being around magnets,  As it turned out he would rest his wrist on his brief case with a magnetic latch.  We have not seen him since than, But I am talking about 5 different customers over 3 months time I can't imagine this being the reason.?

How about shelf time of the movement itself? Do you guys think it could affect those movements in how they perform? Some vendors might not move inventory fast enough and, either out of inactivity or out of plenty of activity, - some movements ship with the battery on - may introduce a variable in performance...How about shipping that could damage the product in transit? Specially if they are running (battery on). As it is, those are quite popular movements if we are talking Ronda 515 et al, and similar ETA. Also being cheap movement with no jewels may have a higher defect turn around?

And yes, magnetism, if the case is magnetized that can also be an issue I guess...mmm, food for thought, I hope there is an answer out there.

Cheers,

Bob