New Watch Repair Prospect

I've  just picked up this Tissot automatic for one of my first prospective repair attempts. Apparently it runs but it is hard to wind and the hands are loose when you turn the stem which I will investigate when i get it. Hopefully it will be fixable, they did state it needs lots of work however so I will have to wait and see, however it looks quite clean from the limited pic.

I think it is 1940's and appears to be gold of some type, I'm not sure if the hands and crown are original, or the whole watch for that matter but I think it is. Looking forwrd to investigating it properly soon.

Any thoughts welcome

post-1547-0-38354000-1446704311_thumb.jp

That's a nice looking watch Kees, and well worth restoring. The hard winding is possibly just due to the excessively worn crown that will be hard to grip, and the slack hand will hopefully just require the cannon pinion to be tightened.

• Like 1

Nice looking face. Have you had the back off? The case back's inner face should tell you whether it's gold or gold-filled - no hallmark? - probably gold-filled.

Will

Not at this stage thankyou Will, however as soon as get it off I will update no doubt. I think it is quite an attractive little piece and maybe one that I could help look after.

I appreciate you're thoughts Geo. I have looked into the cannon pinion now you have introduced it to me and I am studying. Apparently it holds force via a crimp that might be slipping during turning and the fix is to insert a rod through the pinion so it wont collapse and give it just enough of a squeeze to allow friction? This is where my understanding is at the moment but I am doing more research and reading so I'm sure it will improve.

Thanks guys