Squashed My Coil

Got some coils delivered for an Accutron 218 (£19.61) but unfortunately the packaging was less than robust. The vendor attached the coils in packets to a bit of card and put them in a bubble envelope which has subsequently been stood on or put through a machine. 

The postage was free and he says he has sent out lots like this without problem - so just my bad luck I suppose.

Initial contact seems positive however, for a replacement or partial refund ! - heres hoping.

post-197-0-59273400-1446630884_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

I think you are all terrible chaps for inferring such stuff. Shame on you all!

I am now relishing the moral high ground which I can normally only glimpse from the subterranean levels my mind normally exists upon.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Hello Mick,

I was advised that the coils were functional and previously used and the replacements have come off a working movement. It may be a while before I can confirm this personally as they are still in L A with my son.

What I can say now is the vendor has acted in good faith and even though only the smaller coil was squashed he has replaced both.

In my original purchase I also received the battery strap plus the relevant screws and insulator as well as both coils. Even those "little bits" as you probably know command a price on their own.

My original purchase was 111796865321. Vendor is wfm1618 and last time I looked he had 100% positive feedback however, I am sure you understand that I can not guarantee your purchases and doubtless there are many other equally nice people selling stuff on the Bay

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I visited this place last year just before they closed their counter service - amazing shop (filled from floor to ceiling!) and the guy that was working there was really knowledgeable and helpful!. Their website isn't as good as Cousins but I understand that if you fill out the contact form they have stuff that isn't on the site. https://gleave.london/mineral-flat-bottom-domed/
    • As always in this game the answer is “it depends “ because the first one worked out ok doesn’t mean all will. A case could be made in a way that it would not really matter much, sounds like your first example. However a case could also be made so that only a tension armoured crystal could be used. Generally you replace like for like to maintain the integrity of the watch.   Tom
    • When can you use a standard crystal to replace one that had a tension ring? The first time I popped a crystal with a tension ring out of a watch I found that I had a suitable sized standard crystal and decided to try that.  It fit nicely and it was hard to see that anything was missing from the watch.  I understand that it probably reduced the water resistance of the watch but since it was an old dress watch it wasn't going for a swim anyway! I have since tried the same thing on another watch and found that the tension ring seemed to have an additional role of holding the dial in place.  With the standard crystal in there the dial and movement falls forward. This means it rattles in the case and falls forward and the hands fowl on the crystal (when the dial is down). Is there a trick I am missing here or does this watch require a special crystal?  I am reluctant to buy an expensive armoured crystal only to find I have the same problem.  
    • So I wrapped the anvil it in bubble wrap and passed ot through the demag only. Still no go—the unit is simply too strong.  next experiment is to use a VARIAC to lower the voltage and see if that reduces the magnetic field. 
    • In this case, the underside of the crystal is flat so I assume I don't have to worry about clearance to the hands. However, perhaps I'm missing something. If so, please let me know. I guess no one has the patience to get into the details of my first post so here's a simplified version of my question: The case diameter for the glass gasket is 36.9mm. However, Cousins doesn't have a glass gasket with that diameter. The closest are 36.8mm and 37.0mm. Would any of those two options work, and if so which one? I have no problem ordering both and testing them, but If someone already knows it is pointless, there's no reason to order. No, I haven't. Is there someone you can recommend? Preferably in Europe. Thanks!