Iwc 3732 Chrono Second Hand

jdm

Hello everyone,

fist posting, I'm so glad of joining this forum, love Mark's video work and appreciate a lot the competence shown here. I'd like to learn a little watchmaking as an hobby.

Now for the question, my loved IWC 3732 has trouble keeping the chrono second hand in place, I had it corrected few times already, but it moves after some chrono use. I understand that for a permanently fix the tube should be slightly reduced, is that correct and what would be the tool if I wanted to try by myself? But before that, I don't know how to release the stem. I tried pressing a little in the small hole left to the screw on top, but it didn't came and I gave up..

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes with quartz movements you have to pull the stem to the setting position to reveal the lever in the hole to allow it to be pushed. I haven't worked on one of these , but it's worth a try.

I have removed the picture because it is copyrighted.

Thank you Geo.

Sorry for the pic faux-pas. Here's my public domain one. No lever appears pulling the stem but in the hole it appears to be a small screw, like 0.5mm. Perhaps an half turn will release stem ?

After I've overcome this obstacle, what is the best technique to fix a tube that is only slightly lose?

post-1542-0-69145700-1446068497_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

OK, stem removed and mov.t out of the case.

Now for the original problem, I have tried pushing the chrono second hand back slightly (it had advance 10 seconds using the chrono just few times), there is a spring resistance but the hand does not appear to be lose and remains in its current position. Is is possible than rather than the hand tube something else is wrong with the chrono reset?

Also. I only have a presto type tool. I suppose that to remove second hand only I really need levers instead?

Any idea or pointer to give chrono second hand a better grip?

I have read that you can use a lathe collet and lathe to tighten the hand tube up , although I haven't tried it myself it sounds like a plan.

And I use the presto type tool to just lift the second hand , hopefully there is enough room to get in between the second and minute hand

Edited by Andyclient

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that you can use a lathe collet and lathe to tighten the hand tube up , although I haven't tried it myself it sounds like a plan.

And I use the presto type tool to just lift the second hand , hopefully there is enough room to get in between the second and minute hand

Thanks. I've put this aside for now, i was happy enough to have found the screw down crown gasket to make the watch waterproof again. As my skills and toolset improve I'll take this up again.