Seiko 7009 Movement Broken

I'm a newbie watch collector, and new to this forum, so please bear with me if I don't understand things so quickly!

I have a problem with a Seiko 5 watch, with 7009 movement. It's been working fine, until yesterday, when I decided to wear it again after about a week. I wound it (by shaking it about a bit), but nothing happened. The stem/crown seems to be working fine, I can set time, date and day like before. I've opened up the watch and nothing seems to be out of order, but like I said, I'm a newbie so I don't know what to look for. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi Anil,

that's pretty much it indeed. Put it working in a drawer, and no function at all a week or so later. And the second hand doesn't move at all. First I figured that maybe the watch wasn't winding, but when I opened the watch I was able to confirm that the winding weight (don't know what it's actually called) does turn around, and it does connect properly to the other gears for as far as I can see without disassembling the watch. 

I'm guessing the best thing for me to do at this moment (since I'm not willing to have it professionally serviced because that would cost more than the watch is worth) is to disassemble and reassemble the whole watch, for which purpose I've found this youtube vid - never done this before. I hope that will fix it!

• Like 1

Try manual winding by turning the screw arrowed clockwise a couple of turns, give it a shake. if nothing happens try gently swinging the balance with a bit of pegwood (a cocktail stick or similar will do) to see if its free.

post-80-0-32424800-1445281137_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Blacklab, but nothing yet. I think the problem is not the winding, since the balance moves freely, and turning the screw clockwise makes a fast ticking sound (like the gear is slipping since it's fully wound). Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the problem lies somewhere else....

Take a closer look at the mainspring barrel. There is a clip that engages the upper gear to prevent the mainspring from unwinding. The ticking you hear can be that. Like Anvil said, make sure the balance wheel moves freely. Check out the first video on the post Anvil attached. The balance was out of place and did not work properly.

After I reset the balance, I had to turn the mainspring barrel using the screw about 6 to 8 full revolutions before the watch started ticking.