Bezel removal tool (chinese) problems

I got a bezel removal tool, it's the silver type that looks like the photo below (not my photo).

I read some favourable reviews of the chinese bezel removal tools, it looked ok at first sight needed a little oil on the guide bars and bolt, nice and tight no play or wobble on the end section as it's been wound in, it operates smoothly, the blades looked looked nice and sharp no burrs well made, all good i thought it seemed like a good buy until i tried to use it.

The problem is either the blades are too short or set at the wrong angle as the blades don't contact the bezel until the crystal is sat on top of the two aluminium supports pushing the watch case up so the blades will never go between the bezel and case, i've tried a couple of different watches with pressed on bezels, they are not even deep bezels but shallow ones.

I've been looking at photos online and trying to compare the angles and distance between the blades, i will have a go at putting a shim under each of the blades lifting it up allowing the blade to contact the bezel, anyone had the same problem.

bezeltool.jpg

Since posting this i've found a review of the same problem with this tool, the blades are too far apart.

I will never buy another chinese watch tool, total JUNK.

uselessbezeltool.png

• Like 1

I've got a similar one, but never had to use it yet.

I would try a couple of M4 (or whichever) washers under each blade, and possibly longer countersunk machine screws, either hex or torx drive so the blades can be really solidly locked down.

It does not appear there can be much depth of thread in the blocks above the slide shafts, so matching the screw length to the blade height is probably quite important.

You just need the very tip of each blade to go in the area between the bezel and case. The tip that overhang the aluminum block. It just gets enough separation started then take out and finish by using a quaily caseback knife and slowly going around to get the bezel to lift.

The blades are very soft metal. You have to very careful that every blade goes between case and bezel or a blade edge might get deformed and then you can toss the tool. There are better tools for the job. I prefer Horotec Micro-shock.

3 minutes ago, Malocchio said:

The blades are very soft metal. You have to very careful that every blade goes between case and bezel or a blade edge might get deformed and then you can toss the tool. There are better tools for the job. I prefer Horotec Micro-shock.

And just know it might lift under only one of the blades, that is okay.use the caseback knife to then work your way around the bezel / case gap to make it lager all the way around.

Posted (edited)

The tips of the blade on this bezel remover don't get any where near the bezel until the crystal is sat on the aluminium supports, this lifts the bezel higher so can never be removed with tool.

I've looked at other bezel removal tools even the chinese ones of the same design, the blades are closer together so the point of blade that hangs over the edge is more towards the middle of tool so contacts the area between case and bezel, i think who ever did the layout for the blade holes in this batch of removers made a boo-boo and set the blades to far apart.

Edited by valleyguy

Turn it over as in the picture so the crystal side is down case back side is up. Some people put a plastic baggie so the bezel and crystal don't touch the large screws that move the tool dises in and out.

The crystal is facing down with the back facing up, it's just a design error with this chinese bevel remover, if i'd got it from another seller i may have got a chinese bezel remover made in another factory that passed QC and worked, this bezel remover will never work without modification.

On the photos below you can see the differnce in blade layout the red tool looks like it's upto the job with blades contacting the bezel, the silver one is the one i got sent the blades are way too far apart and don't contact the bezel until the crystal is sat on the aluminium supports.

b3.jpg

okbezeltool.jpg

Mine like yours is mostly useless unless the crystal is flush and the bezel is plastic (which is easy enough to remove with a knife). A domed crystal as on a Vostok means the blades won't reach.

Posted (edited)

Could you grind a scallop of material out of the two blocks that hold the blades to allow crystal clearance ?

Or relocate two blades ?

CJ

Edited by Curare

20240524_113013.thumb.jpg.6eaaaeaff414703a7f2d606fa3a389fa.jpg

I've had this for many years and have used it successfully with no issues on many watches. 

But I've only used it mainly for removing glass bezels, opening casebacks and novelty timepieces which were not designed to be open.

For revolving bezels, I usually use a caseback knife to pry it off.

Chinese tool quality can vary greatly. Some are almost indiscernible from the original Swiss tools and some are just junk.

I have many Chinese tools that were junk straight out of the box but after some modifications and finishing, end up better than original Swiss because it's now designed to my specifications.

We have another thread somewhere which discuss Chinese tools. Which are good, which are bad and which are junk. Do have a read if you are planning on buying any tools.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, valleyguy said:

On the photos below you can see the differnce in blade layout the red tool looks like it's upto the job with blades contacting the bezel, the silver one is the one i got sent the blades are way too far apart and don't contact the bezel until the crystal is sat on the aluminium supports.

They are sold in different size ranges; it's not always obvious & possibly some sellers don't even know the difference!

• Like 1

Many people have bought this and similar tools and have had bad experiences with it including myself. A better method has recently been described and demonstrated by @Jon. Please see the below link:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I watched the video, i'd have to practice alot on junk watches before i had the courage to do that on a rolex.

I came across this photo online that someones already modified with stand offs to allow bezel clearance, i will copy this mod, the stand off's seem taller than i was going to do with a couple of washers, but looks like it will solve the problem.

1 hour ago, rjenkinsgb said:

They are sold in different size ranges; it's not always obvious & possibly some sellers don't even know the difference!

I thnk your spot on, the write up on the sales details says for bezels 38 -40mm, i measured the distance between the points that overhang and it is 40mm so would work on a 40mm bezel, i've read other listings and they say with bezels upto 40mm.

V158_0AE0_Sample_02.jpg

Edited by valleyguy

52 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Many people have bought this and similar tools and have had bad experiences with it including myself. A better method has recently been described and demonstrated by @Jon. Please see the below link:

What Jon does looks kind of rough and  as though it would cause damage. A more accurate description of his method would be mindful,  and purposeful action. Exactly has he says , it needs to be in a deliberate way without pussyfooting around. Its something i come across a lot in my own industry, you need to have the belief that it will work, sounds wierd but you could almost say you are willing it to work. Haha its not magic or mystical, it just puts you into the right mindset for doing something,  mind over matter stuff 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

For removing rotating bezels, a tool like this might be more useful.

Best quality Watch Bezel Ring Remover Watch Insert Ring Opener Glass Mirror Replacement Watch Repairing Tool for Watchmake
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNJmRVo

Do you have any personal experience with the tool or are you just guessing? Is there anyone else here who has experience with this tool?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

For removing rotating bezels, a tool like this might be more useful.

Best quality Watch Bezel Ring Remover Watch Insert Ring Opener Glass Mirror Replacement Watch Repairing Tool for Watchmake
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNJmRVo

Something tells me that bezel was taken off previously and the bezel retaining spring was removed 😅. I've never had a diver's oxy bezel come off anywhere near as easy as that. Dont understand the use for that tool at all, its more of a domed crystal compression tool .

2 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Do you have any personal experience with the tool or are you just guessing? Is there anyone else here who has experience with this tool?

Not that tool exactly H , but i have a robur crystal lift that works on the same principle as this one.

17 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

My mentor uses it. I haven't tried it yet. 

My mentor is the worst tool junkie I've seen. He buys stuff to try as soon as it hits the market. Things he doesn't find so useful, he gives them away to his students. Maybe that's why I ended up with his silver bezel remover. 🤣

His latest acquisition is a Chinese made automatic watch cleaning machine with built in ultrasonics, similar to an Elma or Greiner.

Waiting eagerly for him to give it away. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rjenkinsgb said:

The seller must not know the difference as someone as just posted a positive review with a photo of the version with the blades close together, the seller must be shipping at random so it's pot luck which one you receive.

Edited by valleyguy

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

mind over matter stuff 😅

So true. If you don't have that, all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

My mentor uses it. I haven't tried it yet. 

My mentor is the worst tool junkie I've seen. He buys stuff to try as soon as it hits the market. Things he doesn't find so useful, he gives them away to his students. Maybe that's why I ended up with his silver bezel remover. 🤣

His latest acquisition is a Chinese made automatic watch cleaning machine with built in ultrasonics, similar to an Elma or Greiner.

Waiting eagerly for him to give it away. 😏

Cool when your done with you mentor you can give HIM away to me 😅

• Haha 3