Learning Watch repair maintenance

Hello,

I am a software engineer and all day spent in front of my computer makes me want to do something more manual as a hobby.

I like the mix of intricacies and basic technology of mechanical watches, the fact that such marvel could be built manually hundred of years ago fascinates me.  So I decided to combine the two and learn "watchmaking"  (between quote as I don't expect to ever be able to make a watch).

My first goal is to be able to service a mechanical watch.

My current status is that I am pretty good at breaking small parts in watch movements

• Like 1

I didn't mention where I am from.

I am French but for the last 10 years I have been living in the Boston area in the US.

Specifically in Waltham which has its share of horological history.

Interestingly I have one watch which has a lot of value for me as it is one I have had for 23 years it was offered to me in Japan when I lived there.   It is a Seiko Brightz SAGN011 and I haven't found anybody around Boston to service it.

1 hour ago, Terrinecold said:

My current status is that I am pretty good at breaking small parts in watch movements

Greetings from another electronics designer & programmer!

I suggest you get a batch of similar scrap movements from ebay - I found batches of Seikos very cheaply, I got seven of one type for £11 (or 11 Euros possibly?).

Those were ladies, 4206B I believe. There are also mens movements at a slightly higher price; eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134723051997

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235565276549

They are cheap enough so it does not matter what gets messed up or lost & you can probably still get one or two working movements from a batch, even if some part are damaged when you get them.

(I've had quite a bit from the guy in Holland, he usually has a good range of movements).