Information About A Gustav Becker Clock

GuiBer

A friend of mine asked me some information about a clock he has inherited. As I don´t know anything about clocks I took some photos and said him I'll put them in the forum asking for some information from the experts on the subject.

Nevertheless I did some investigation, and now I know it is a Gustav Becker, but noting more. In the movement back plate, besides the GB symbol I just see a P14 and I didn´t see any serial number. 

The clock as you can see from the photos, (sorry for the poor quality), has a nice wooden case with beautiful silver ( I think! ) ornament, of which you can see some details.

The clock is working perfectly, with a nice sound when passing hours and half-hours.

I would like to have some more information about posssible manufacturing year, quality of the movement and its rarity (or not!).

Thanks! 

post-1304-0-17565400-1444948437_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-14129200-1444948531_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-12447100-1444948556_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-76139800-1444948586_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-00572100-1444948623_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-27614000-1444948641_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hello GuiBer

Gustav Becker was a German Clockmaker. The brand merged in 1930. This clock is before 1930. It is a bim bam not just a strike on a single hammer because it has three, sometimes called a ting tang. I will call it a bim bam, on the half hour it will bim bam once, on the hour it will bim bam the amount of times depending on which hour the hour hand is pointing to. Gustav Becker prolific in turning out clocks there are so many different types of cases some bland some with nice decoration this one comes into that range. When it comes to value hard to say I would think something between  £50 - £200. The movement is an average quality for that period, yours has done well looking at the back plate I don't see any evidence of re-bushing and the dial is very ordinary. The hands are called spade.

Hello oldhippy, Thanks for the interesting information.

About the manufacturing year, perhaps if I discovered the serial number it would be easier, do you have an idea where i t should be located?

Does the inscription "P14" refers to the movement type, or could it mean the manufacturing year of 1914? 

All Becker clocks had a serial number it should be on the back plate I would think near the motive. If no serial then it would have been made after 1926 but I think still in one of his factories but through a partnership. I don't think P14 is the number. Have a look here and you will see how the numbers progressed.

http://www.elitetimepieces.com/gustavbeckerref.html

• 4 months later...