Hi, Guys

I've just started on my second watch renewal and have come up with an issue I'm not sure about. I've just removed the crystal which was pretty hard to do. On inspection, it appears that part of the crystal is still in the case. This may have been my fault and I needed to remove it in a different way, beginners curse, but I'm wondering if it has been bonded in at some point in the past. Anyway, I am where I am and need advice on what action to take to remove the leftover bits. To me, the gold-colored ring looks like it's part of the case decoration so I wasn't expecting that to come out with the crystal, again I could be wrong. Here's a few pictures to show you what I mean. I'm not sure what the case is as I can't find any info on any of the numbers on the case, outside 521-2120-329 which gives me the movement and case materials used and on the inside 27030 which doesn't give me any results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2024_0501_151831_014.JPG

2024_0501_151927_015.JPG

2024_0501_151158_013.JPG

I think it is a tension ring glass and it's broken away from the tension ring. Try your case knife blade between the case and the tension ring or one of your screwdriver blades. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I think it is a tension ring glass and it's broken away from the tension ring. Try your case knife blade between the case and the tension ring or one of your screwdriver blades. 

Great advice, thanks that worked a treat. Now I need to learn how this tension ring and crystal fit together and if I need any tools to put it back into the case. The crystal looks normal to me with flat sides so I'm trying to get the assembly procedure in my head. Obviously, if the ring goes inside the crystal, as shown in the pictures above, then you wouldn't be able to compress it like a non-tension crystal so is it then bonded in.  There did appear to be a dried film of something around the bottom edge of the case that I scraped off with some peg wood. Food for thought! 

Isn't it horrible how the magnification and lights show up all the scratches, it looks fine to the naked eye😪 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

The tension ring is part of the crystal. 

Screenshot_20240501_200102_Chrome.jpg

Oh, that's cool. So I just need to measure the case diameter and decide what type I had before it broke and place an order. Looking at the document download you just press it in with a press, which I have 👍 Taking a measurement and tyle of ring I think I need a ATGB, picture shows a slight angel on the inner edge

2024_0501_203535_016.JPG

Edited by Zedster

Thanks guys you've been a great help to a beginner, every day's a school day 👍 I'm always crossing my fingers when I order a part as there's so many different numbers, I thought ordering a coffee was bad enough! 😆 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Coffee is easy for me, strong and black.  Hehe.  Let us know how you get on with the crystal. 

According to Cousins site I need to look at document G22 as I think I need an ATGB at 304 but I cant find this size in G22 doc. The last thing I want to do is order the wrong one😳  Unless I cant see the wood for the trees 😆 I could be looking at the wrong style, I assume its classed as Round plastic Armed 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/wide-ring-gold-atgb

Edited by Zedster