Rolex 2235 escape wheel jewel setting replacement

I overhauled a ladies Rolex and noticed erratic performance so I stripped in down again and did fault finding. This is what I saw. The lower jewel (the one in the plate) is cracked and the hole is too big. Before discovering this, I stripped down and re-cleaned the main-plate (and parts) by hand with a fine natural fiber brush. I somehow missed the fault the first time and cannot understand how it was still running. Perhaps re-cleaning it dislodged some pieces of the jewel widening the hole? I don't know. Now I need to replace the jewel but don't have a Seitz tool. The Rolex part is 2130-0913 and the top and bottom are the same. The part comes complete in brass setting with KIF elastor spring and cap jewel. Note: I have never replaced a jewel. I do have a good vintage stacking set that I've used quite a bit.  Can I replace using a stacking set? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20240426_201617.thumb.jpg.3c2a2e418f5e8819132a9687752f9e7c.jpg20240426_201811.thumb.jpg.95cb3b21d4147b1b85882b76291f1d33.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j
TYPO

No problem to replace the setting with the staking set. Press the new setting from inside, use flat face punch with hole. The punch must be wider than the setting, the hole to be as not to press at the stone, but only on the bush. Press by hand until the setting gets flush with the plate surface, so the punch must rest on it.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

No problem to replace the setting with the staking set. Press the new setting from inside, use flat face punch with hole. The punch must be wider than the setting, the hole to be as not to press at the stone, but only on the bush. Press by hand until the setting gets flush with the plate surface, so the punch must rest on it.

Hello, Thanks for the reply. The old jewel will get pushed out from the "outside" which is the dial side. The new jewel will get pressed in from the inside (shown below) which is the movement side, correct?

DSCN7238.thumb.jpeg.babe57bb21aacbe5ec0ae5099e6f01a4.jpegScreenshot2024-04-27at3_59_34PM.thumb.png.a26205ee14c69848edc98de345f31d49.png

And the old jewel and spring will get pushed from the is the "outside" which is the dial side.Screenshot2024-04-27at4_06_06PM.thumb.png.11816eda602350a5fddc7b55986902c3.png

Thank you very much for the information. I will take out the KIF spring and save it. Will update when the new jewel is in place!

Regards,
Joe

Edited by noirrac1j
typo

Hi Joe,

Use the same direction - from inside to otside - for both pressing out the old setting and pressing in the new one. This is the way to prevent the bush of the setting from danage. There is another option too - to replace the stone only, if a stone with the right sizes is found.

By the way, the stone will break only for a reason, and  there is no much reasons but one, so check if the pivots of the weel are intact.

Posted (edited)

Hell0 @nevenbekriev. Thank you for your advice. I have removed the old setting using my staking set--I will keep the KIF spring, since it is still good.  I am awaiting the replacement setting, and will update when I do that. In the mean time, I looked at the escape wheel and it looks ok. What do you think?

Escape_1.jpg

escape_2.jpg

escape 3.jpg

escape_4.jpg

main plate.jpg

setting.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j
TYPO