Introduction

Hello Horologists, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 50ish year old who has been dabbling in watches for a while, did a couple of BHI course here in the UK and have started to dabble at bit more. I also took the level 1 course, which was a good refresher.

Now off to look at some Bergeon tools and then buy (and regret buying) the cheaper ones... 

Stirky.

Welcome to the group Stirky. You can search for just about every subject in the craft here. Don't be afraid to ask if you can't find the answer that may have already been covered ( some ad nauseum LOL ).

You don't have to buy Bergeon to get good quality. There are many decent mid-range tools available that will last you a lifetime. Cousins would be a good place to start .

Cheers from across the pond !

Randy

• Like 1

@Randy55 welcome, here are some  screwdrivers I can highly recommend, not the cheapest out there, but I prefer them to my Bergeon ones.:

And for tweezers I can't recommend highly enough the CousinsUK own brand titanium (link here), I even prefer them to the Dumont tweezers I have, here is my write up:

Other piece of advice would be to 'cut to the chase' and get a trinocular microscope on a boom arm, I tried all kinds of loupes and visors etc, but now do 90% of my work on the scope.

• Like 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

When it comes to tools buy the best you can afford a good set of watch makers screwdrivers if you look after them will last you a life time. I recommend Dumont tweezers Number 3 and number 5 for fine work, you can build up from there. You will need different strength eye glasses. Some now like to work using a microscope. Pliers the box jointed ones are best they don't go out of line.