I've Just Bought These Two Clocks Part 3

oldhippy

I got hold of these two clocks from ebay last week. Both are Elliott's of 8day duration fixed key wind and jewelled platform escarpments. The one on the left has a mahogany case the other is walnut, according to the sellers both have been serviced and they keep very good time. I think I've done my clock buying for now, but if a nice 8day Long case with brass dial took my fancy I just might be tempted.

post-1154-0-48440600-1444213991_thumb.jp

• Like 1

These are nice Oldhippy!

Micky, you would like the sound of ticking in my dining room. Two long case clocks (one with Westminster chimes), one 1860 Skeleton clock, one marine chronometer and a carriage clock. You should here it at 12 o'clock! :)

• Like 1

These are nice Oldhippy!

Micky, you would like the sound of ticking in my dining room. Two long case clocks (one with Westminster chimes), one 1860 Skeleton clock, one marine chronometer and a carriage clock. You should here it at 12 o'clock! :)

Is the longcase with Westminster chimes modern? Because the antique ones are worth quite a bit. Did you know at one time Skeleton clocks were assumed to be apprentice pieces. The marine chronometer is it in its original box and do you know the maker they can be worth a hell of a lot of money. Carriage clocks are nice there's some lovely ones around again some worth big money, not so if the platform escapement has been replaced.  

The clock with the Westminster chimes is not too old, it dates to 1928, the other one is 1830.

The skeleton dates to about 1860.

It's a Thomas Mercer chronometer is in its original box and is from the nineteen seventies.

I don't know much about the carriage clock, but it looks original.

I forgot to mention my working 1759 verge pocket watch in a display dome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The clock with the Westminster chimes is not too old, it dates to 1928, the other one is 1830.

The skeleton dates to about 1860.

It's a Thomas Mercer chronometer is in its original box and is from the nineteen seventies.

I don't know much about the carriage clock, but it looks original.

I forgot to mention my working 1759 verge pocket watch in a display dome.

Can we have some pic's please Geo !  :thumbsu:

Can we have some pic's please Geo !  :thumbsu:

Here you go, as requested. It gets a bit noisy in the room at twelve o'clock!

post-124-0-49994900-1449258719_thumb.jpe

Scottish long-case ca 1830

post-124-0-61736600-1449258829_thumb.jpe

Long-case with Westminster Chimes ca 1928

post-124-0-99227000-1449258888_thumb.jpe

Skeleton clock ca1860 and Verge pocket watch 1759 by Rose of London

post-124-0-13013100-1449258949_thumb.jpe

Thomas Mercer marine chronometer ca1972

post-124-0-54465700-1449259014_thumb.jpe

I almost forgot the carriage clock!

• Like 2

The Scottish long case is very nice, what duration is it George? is it weight driven? I'd love to see the movement. If that's not to be could you describe it for me.

The skeleton clock is lovely with what is known as a passing strike movement. Years ago it was thought that these clocks were apprentice pieces which I'm glad to see has changed. I loved restoring these fellows polishing all the brass work and then lacquering it, polishing all the screws and burnishing them to a very high finish, the customer could see where all the hard expensive work went. I would say the glass dome is not the original as it doesn't sit in the grove around the base.

The Westminster long case is modern and not the sort of clock that interests me. It looks nice and the case has a rich colour.

The Verge pocket watch 1759 by Rose of London is nice in its show case, does it still work?

I think I've mentioned the Thomas Mercer marine chronometer ca1972 before a wonderful piece, these pieces are always good in any collection.

The carriage clock a nice little timepiece. I trust it is working with its original escapement. I would say it's French.

Thanks George for showing your nice collection of clocks.