Missing Bezel on Timex 76770 - Original Watch for Velocity Reissue

I came across this Timex 76770, and impulse bought it.

BnRykYC.thumb.jpg.641a6a7fe60362ca5ab43b71c76b4143.jpg

It was described as 'New Old Stock'. I think, to be fair, it may have been unworn, but there's the obvious issue of the missing rotating bezel.

How it should look:

nM3JTSy.thumb.png.260700d0e15de0adf2626986a502b417.png

I'm keen to hear any suggestions. If there's a way to source an original bezel that would be great of course, but if there's something else that happens to fit that would be good too. I'm wondering if I could find someting close to modify, or have something 3D printed.

The case itself doesnt appear to have anything to retain the bezel. The only thing I'm seeing is a slope at the base of the crystal.

PXL_20240409_183009988.thumb.jpg.06ef6a0ecd52c73d74da8f4373724598.jpg

Would that with a rubber gasket have held the original bezel in place?

56 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. Have a look at the heritage 1854 site it’s timex based.

Thanks, I'm checking that out. As you suggest, a Timex specific community might have particular knowledge.

27 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Large enough to 3D print with acceptable results.  Would need some post processing to give it a quality feel.

Even making a CAD model of what's needed would be new, but not totally unfamiliar to me. There is the problem of not being sure what's needed though!

The 'Repair' section of 'heritage1854.com' had some email addresses that I reached out to. Perhaps they can help in some way. I'd appreciate some advice from a fellow enthusiast, but I'm also open to quotes from professionals if need be.

Ziggy, whose contact details are on heritage1854, got back to me. They weren't able to help other than sharing their experience that NOS bezels they got hold of previously broke immediately.

I guess an original replacement is out then.

That dial was used on a few different cases.  I looks to me that the case is not designed for  a bezel ring.  If you place a finger nail on the rim can you feel it catch a lip?

And yes Timex bezel rings are like hens teeth to find.

15 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

That dial was used on a few different cases.  I looks to me that the case is not designed for  a bezel ring.  If you place a finger nail on the rim can you feel it catch a lip?

And yes Timex bezel rings are like hens teeth to find.

I can't see or feel a lip on the metal of the case for a retaining wire or gasket. There is an inward slope on the bottom of the crystal that I thought might serve that purpose though.

PXL_20240411_134944827.thumb.jpg.69b62abeb02a7a4cef0b8166e39a38a6.jpg

I wondered if this might be a model without the rotating bezel, but I'm not seeing one like that in the catalogue I have, and the number at the bottom of the dial - 767704171 - is an exact match for this:

nM3JTSy.thumb.png.260700d0e15de0adf2626986a502b417.png.35f1181d7178354fc226cdb7a6359e14.png

Though I do see that has something other than the silver mesh band on mine fitted. The watch was originally intended for the Japanese market, and has these stickers on the caseback:

PXL_20240411_135036615.thumb.jpg.860869c9bcf0bb4ee13c0234e527496a.jpg

3 hours ago, PierreChaton said:

Though I do see that has something other than the silver mesh band on mine fitted. The watch was originally intended for the Japanese market, and has these stickers on the caseback:

You will not find this in the US catalogues if it was sold in Japan.  Remember that Timex sold all over the world and marketed differently depending on region.  But, they used the same parts in different combinations.   

That same dial was sold wth the desk clock.  - non-bezel case.

image.png.bdcd4102715c238d292ec05642201ff9.png

39 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

You will not find this in the US catalogues if it was sold in Japan.  Remember that Timex sold all over the world and marketed differently depending on region.  But, they used the same parts in different combinations.   

That same dial was sold wth the desk clock.  - non-bezel case.

image.png.bdcd4102715c238d292ec05642201ff9.png

Would it still have the 76770 catalogue number printed on the dial if if was a different reference though?

Do you know if the ones with a rotating bezel have a conventional metal lip to retain it, which mine is missing?

33 minutes ago, PierreChaton said:

Would it still have the 76770 catalogue number printed on the dial if if was a different reference though?

Do you know if the ones with a rotating bezel have a conventional metal lip to retain it, which mine is missing?

there would be a lip that the ring holds to.  The ring will be plastic and grips the lips. No retaining clip.  I can't really comment on the dial coding used on Japan model.  But, Timex was good for using up parts and we come across product that is not found in catalogue all the time.  

42 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

there would be a lip that the ring holds to.  The ring will be plastic and grips the lips. No retaining clip.  I can't really comment on the dial coding used on Japan model.  But, Timex was good for using up parts and we come across product that is not found in catalogue all the time.  

Thanks.

If there would definitely be a metal lip to hold the bezel, then I suppose it's not what I thought it was, but - on the bright side - it is complete.

Call it good news and wear it I guess. I might still try to find some marketing materials or such showing it though.