Hi, I have a Seiko Chronograph 7t32-7f70. The watch is approximately 22 years old. Just recently replaced the battery, however I have noticed the stopwatch and associated functions are not working correctly! Also the dial displaying the seconds took a while to start after I adjusted the time and pushed the crown back in! Obviously has some issues, and not sure if this model can still be serviced or repaired in the UK, however it has had a re-seal previously at Seiko UK.  The watch has a huge amount of sentimental value, but I still wear it now and then...would still like it to function correctly if possible. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2 hours ago, DZM1810 said:

The watch has a huge amount of sentimental value

Not having a picture of the watch, but if your watch has a normal 7t32, it seems that the important parts are still working. Reading your description, the electronic module seems to be working fine and all the stepper-motors are working fine, or at least trying to. Therefor it seems that your watch has mechanical issues. This could be dried up oil or ......... rust.

The movement would benefit from a total service.

If you are new to the repair game, and since the watch has a huge amount of sentimental value to you, I would recommend not to do it yourself or at least, not until you have gained quite some experience.

Perhaps somebody here on the forum is willing to help you?

In my opinion, the most important parts are still okay and I think your watch is "repairable", unless rust has ruined it?

Do not panic, take your time to find a good solution. As said, if you are not knowledgeable, the worst thing you can do it to "give it a go" yourself.

Either you put it aside until you gained (lots) of experience, or find an experienced person who has lots of successful quartz repairs under his belt.

If everything turns sour, you have to source another 7t32 movement and replace the whole movement ........ but then it won't be the "same' watch anymore 🤔

Edited by Endeavor

there does not seem to be a direct replacement for that module, some replacement movements are close though but not the same, there are working watches with the same movement for sale and that might be your only way to obtain a movement plus you get all the other parts associated with said watch, I believe some individual parts are obtainable too, you might try to service this watch as this is mainly what this forum is for, having said that it might be too much for a beginner, at some point you will at least have to learn how to remove/replace the hands, stem and batteries on watches, good luck....

3 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Not having a picture of the watch, but if your watch has a normal 7t32, it seems that the important parts are still working. Reading your description, the electronic module seems to be working fine and all the stepper-motors are working fine, or at least trying to. Therefor it seems that your watch has mechanical issues. This could be dried up oil or ......... rust.

The movement would benefit from a total service.

If you are new to the repair game, and since the watch has a huge amount of sentimental value to you, I would recommend not to do it yourself or at least, not until you have gained quite some experience.

Perhaps somebody here on the forum is willing to help you?

In my opinion, the most important parts are still okay and I think your watch is "repairable", unless rust has ruined it?

Do not panic, take your time to find a good solution. As said, if you are not knowledgeable, the worst thing you can do it to "give it a go" yourself.

Either you put it aside until you gained (lots) of experience, or find an experienced person who has lots of successful quartz repairs under his belt.

If everything turns sour, you have to source another 7t32 movement and replace the whole movement ........ but then it won't be the "same' watch anymore 🤔

Hi, thanks for the advice given...unfortunately I do not have the knowledge or experience to attempt anything other than change a battery on this watch! I joined the forum just to ask if this particular model/movement would still be serviceable/repairable, or if anyone can point me in the right direction of someone who could carry this work out for me. I don't mind being patient for a while longer...I have owned it for 22 years, and it's never missed a beat until now. I will still cling on to some hope that one day it will be fully operational!...If not, it will reside in my watch case.

36 minutes ago, DZM1810 said:

point me in the right direction

as you're in the UK you'll have to track down the UK Seiko service center. If you are in the USA though you would go to the link below enter in your model number and in this particular case you would get this which is yes the watch can be serviced.

image.png.3b8bb72d97b5b43a3e8f6cb7d2716129.png

https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/pages/serviceprice/

then maybe could just googled something like I did indeed get this link it's the UK office so somewhere on here they should have their server stuff

https://www.seikowatches.com/uk-en/customerservice/faq/repairs-1

I had once a few heirloom cylinder Pocket watches. They kinda ran but were either pretty worn, in desperate need of a service or both. I explained the owner the risk involved and, because of the high sentimental value, he decided to keep them in he condition as they were. Rather poor running than taking the risk having them broken.

In your case it is not so black & white. The 7t32 is still plenty full around, but most likely the replacement, due to its age, needs a service as well.

While you are searching for help, take the battery out and store it dry. It's to hope that the poor mechanical functioning is not caused by water ingress.

It would be nice if you could keep the original movement, but if needed, identical replacement movement are still around and a swap is easy for somebody who knows.

In the not too far future I'll try to service / resuscitate a partially-working 7t32 movement. If I manage to get it serviced and 100% working, we'll talk again ....... if still needed ......

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DZM1810 said:

I have previously sent the watch to Seiko UK for it to be re-sealed and made water resistant. I am not sure if they service or repair the 7t32 movements any longer!

Why would they service it, if you asked for resealing?  Ask them if it's still serviceable. 

Hi.  I take it that you did the reset when changing the better.   The Y182 is a replacement ,made by epson but as hard to Ger as the original which has been obsolete for some time. The Y182 could be found in Lorus, yema pulsar. Most of there are hard to find also.

Attached is the technical guide for your information.

Seiko 7T32B - Technical Guide.pdf

7T32 or Y182 should not be your "first introduction to watch repair" projects. But on a positive side, you probably will not need any parts at all.

The movement requires cleaning, especially under / around circuit block.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The problem sounds very much like what might happen when failing to do the reset procedure.

The stopwatch not working could be a few things.  There are two different motors, one for the center sweep seconds and one of the minute counter.  Damaging a coil is the most likely thing to do wrong when changing the battery, but that would likely just take out one of the two.  So "start" it wait and see if the minute counter doesn't tick over.  If that ticks, and you've done the reset procedure, it's probably damage to the sweep second coil.

If neither works, then it could be the button contact is damaged.  It's a tiny bit of copper trace on the PCB that curls around the edge to make a circuit and it can break off.  There's a way to trigger the buttons from the small pads on the back of the movement, as well as check them with a multimeter, if you are familiar with one.

But give this a try, pull the crown out to the second position and hold down button "B" (10 o'clock) for a few seconds.  This is suppose to spin the minute counter to let you reset it to 0.  If it doesn't move and (I assume) button 'A' (2 o'clock) doesn't start the chronograph, then either both buttons have failed at the same time or there is something else wrong.

A leaking battery can take out the traces on the circuit board, and this can take out the motors and/or buttons, but you didn't say anything about it and it should be obvious if it leaked enough to do that.