Having “mastered” servicing my ST36 movements, I moved on the a SEIKO NH35. Took it apart without any issue including removing the balance jewels and other palette jewels. Now that everything is clean, I am really struggling with getting the diashock spring back into the balance. I watched videos about using two tweezers but so far that method has not worked. I tried making a tool out of peg wood but my whittling skills are not up to scratch so that has not worked either. Just wondering if anyone has ever used hand setting tools?  I realize that they are probably better suited (if at all) to the three pronged type of spring as opposed to the ones on this movement that have two prongs at the end of the spring, but would those tools fit over the jewel and allow me to twist the spring into place?

I use no extra fine 5 brass tweezers dressed extremely sharp and a sharpened sewing needle glued to a piece of dowel. 

I use the needle to keep it located in position so it can't escape and the tweezers to push and twist the dialshock.

One thing I always do is place a piece of plastic film (glad wrap/sandwich wrap) over the top of everything and  push the tools through it.

If you use the plastic film just place and remove it slowly so you don't drag parts of the movement.

Some would say this is amaterish but it stops you losing things which can render a whole movement useless.

I know I've spent hours on my hands and knees looking for parts !!!

Are you doing it under a microscope? As that is the only way I can do it successfully and see what's going on. 

Maybe watch a few more videos on Youtube and take your time.

Regards CJ

• Like 1

Those things were designed by a sadist. Using this technique i've had even the small bridge train ones down to a science for awhile. Even with being able to set them in seconds i STILL lost one last week. The nice thing about them is if you practice practice practice and can set them easily almost anything else you gotta do with tweezers seems like a cake walk.

image.thumb.png.f3a8e2e6e7aabba43feeecf14f090f24.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Birbdad said:

Those things were designed by a sadist. Using this technique i've had even the small bridge train ones down to a science for awhile. Even with being able to set them in seconds i STILL lost one last week. The nice thing about them is if you practice practice practice and can set them easily almost anything else you gotta do with tweezers seems like a cake walk.

image.thumb.png.f3a8e2e6e7aabba43feeecf14f090f24.png

Yup. I got one in today using this method. Hasn’t worked yet on the little ones. I only realized after I took them out that I probably didn’t need to. 
BTW - my theory - this is how the Japanese got back at the rest of the world for the Americans dropping a bomb on them. Long, steady torture. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MarkF said:

I only realized after I took them out that I probably didn’t need to.

As long as you can get the jewel holes and the cap jewels spotless, by all means, but I don't think that is possible.

• Like 1