Hello from Ibarra, Ecuador

Hello all,

Originally from PIttsburgh, PA USA but have been living in Ibarra, Ecuador for the last 20 years and work at Yachay University as an English teacher. Along the way, I met a nice gentleman here who does watch repair and helped me out with a mechanical watch that my father had gifted me. But, he is getting older and his sons do not know mechanical watch repair. So, I like to do things with my hands (electronics and motorcycle repair) and decided I would learn how to take care of my watches. My interest lies mainly in Japanese watches like Seiko, Orient, and Citizen as I gifted my father's Swiss timepiece to my nephew on his graduation since I do not want to walk around the streets with an expensive timepiece here. 

The drawbacks to doing repair here is that nothing is easily accesible from solutions for cleaning (restricted due to government control) to replacement parts. But, things are possible with planning. 

Thanks for the welcome and will enjoy reading the posts here on WatchRepairTalk. 

All the best

Kev 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I actually sent a message to him on eBay asking exactly that. They all look like snap-on casebooks so should be easy enough to get the photos.
    • I thought they were a close match to Cortebert, Nev also suggested Invar , i found a 19"' that had a very similar curved balance cock.  I looked at Revue as well but Ranfft was throwing up 404s on the pocket watch sizes.
    • Looked all over and I can't find it. Pity Ranfft movement identifier doesn't work. The closest movements I've seen, from general layout, and shape of keyless are Corterbert.
    • Well, this stickiness was only on 1 or 2 turns at first.  After using the B-Dip, I can actually manipulate the the turns in such a way that ALL of them stick on one side and I can pull them apart and you will still see a few sticking still so there is either residue from the B-dip or the initial crud that B-dip didn't remove.   What bothers me most is that I can still see liquid in-between the turns holding them together, as if the dip didn't completely evaporate.  When I get a chance, I'm going to try an alcohol or lighter fluid dip and see what happens.  I don't have a very fine brush for this, so that might have to be the next step.
    • Couple of Oris in there , early Oris were pretty small , around 28mm , the first 2 could be 45x or 49x series calibers. The Unicorn might also be an Oris, to know that these will be pin pallet watches if there is no jewel count on the dial. The other 3 will be much the same. The Oris are ok and have some value, as far as pin pallets go Oris were very good as thats all they were allowed to work with for a long time, so they made sure they got the best out of them. Its good to inside though, at the most basic level of inspection of an Ebay sale at least you can see if anything is missing inside, otherwise its just pure luck. Ask the sell if he will add some pictures of the insde for you to privately look at.