How is your microscope set up on your bench?

I recently bought a used Amscope microscope on a boom.  It came with a .5mm barlow lens so the working distance between the lens and the top or the table 6-8" which is great.  I wasn't planning on this purchase but it was a great deal that I couldn't pass up.  Once I got the scope home, I put it on my work bench but I have an issue now.  My chair doesn't go high enough for me to reach the lenses on the scope.  My bench is set at about 95cm high and I usually have my chair set to its lowest setting (I'm 6'2" tall).  It's something I did not take into consideration so now I am curious how others set up their scope.  Do you have another bench that is lower just for when you use the scope?

I have the same setup, Amscope with 0.5x Barlow. Due to lack of space, I have to use my computer desk. The desk top is 76.5cm (30") and the eyepieces about 43.5cm (17") about that. I use a standard adjustable office chair. With it fully up I'm at just the right height for the microscope (I'm only 5'8"). 

Your bench is too high - a saw will soon solve your problem 🤣

I have an adjustable stool [nothing to do with constipation remedies...] which allows me to drop down to below the level of my bench for loupe work and then to sit up to the level of my microscope eyepieces.  My bench is set at 96cm and my stool at its highest setting is 72cm and at its lowest, is at 54cm.  My scope is a binocular boom model with 10x magnification and a 1x barlow.  I'm 5' 10"...

Edited by specks

I'm only 5'5". I'm guessing you (op) must have a proper watchmaking bench, because I do NOT have that problem unless I have a 0.3X Barlow on! I have my regular desk (a standard height roll top) and a work table (a standard height dining table). They seem to be about the same height, and I have a standard issue desk chair at standard working height. The scope sits on the table for space reasons, and I just swivel the chair back and forth between them. I certainly sit up straight when I'm working through the scope, but like, in a good posture sort of way more than anything...

On 1/25/2024 at 11:08 AM, Malocchio said:

Have you tilted the microscope? Some tilt is needed to keep your hand out of the way while using a screwdriver. Tilting brings down the oculars.

I did not do this at first but after trying this it did help.  Still not ideal as now I am looking at the work piece on a slight angle.  I need to practice working through the microscope and get use to the depth perception.  Thanks for the tip

I have a couple of different ways to use a microscope in conjunction with my workbench.

I always say "Move the work to suit you, don't contort yourself to suit the work." So for me keeping myself comfortable when working on watches is a must and I don't like to change the height of my chair to suit the work. But I understand that we don't all have this luxury. The first photo is my height adjustable watchmakers bench next to my microscope bench, so they are on two different levels. The bench the microscope is on is also height adjustable. I don't like to tilt my microscope for personal reasons. It just suits me that way, as I like to have everything in focus, especially when filming and projecting the work onto a projector screen for the class to see.

Myworkbenches.thumb.jpg.1f8583979ea56bdf9ef5cbc2bdd1dcfd.jpg

The next photo is of a couple of students workbenches that are also motor driven height adjustable. the one in the foreground is set to a working height and the one in the background is lower to use the microscope on an articulating arm.

Studentsworkbenches.thumb.jpg.c0b88304e53791e166c45c4a30ca8e73.jpg

These workbenches can be made for about £300 to £350 with waxed solid beech worktops, which I think is a good investment, especially as you no longer need to adjust your chair to suit the work, as well as feeling like a total boss when servicing your watches. Think about how much money we have spent on tools, watches and equipment. We owe it to ourselves to build a decent workbench as a priority.

My next project is to profile the front of these workbenches using a plunge router and fit leather armrests as I have on mine. The students won't know what's hit them! I'll post some pics later in the year when I've made them.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 4:35 PM, specks said:

I have an adjustable stool [nothing to do with constipation remedies...]

Those can be a real pain in the arse.

2 hours ago, Jon said:

I have a couple of different ways to use a microscope in conjunction with my workbench.

I always say "Move the work to suit you, don't contort yourself to suit the work." So for me keeping myself comfortable when working on watches is a must and I don't like to change the height of my chair to suit the work. But I understand that we don't all have this luxury. The first photo is my height adjustable watchmakers bench next to my microscope bench, so they are on two different levels. The bench the microscope is on is also height adjustable. I don't like to tilt my microscope for personal reasons. It just suits me that way, as I like to have everything in focus, especially when filming and projecting the work onto a projector screen for the class to see.

Myworkbenches.thumb.jpg.1f8583979ea56bdf9ef5cbc2bdd1dcfd.jpg

The next photo is of a couple of students workbenches that are also motor driven height adjustable. the one in the foreground is set to a working height and the one in the background is lower to use the microscope on an articulating arm.

Studentsworkbenches.thumb.jpg.c0b88304e53791e166c45c4a30ca8e73.jpg

These workbenches can be made for about £300 to £350 with waxed solid beech worktops, which I think is a good investment, especially as you no longer need to adjust your chair to suit the work, as well as feeling like a total boss when servicing your watches. Think about how much money we have spent on tools, watches and equipment. We owe it to ourselves to build a decent workbench as a priority.

My next project is to profile the front of these workbenches using a plunge router and fit leather armrests as I have on mine. The students won't know what's hit them! I'll post some pics later in the year when I've made them.

Do these sloped armrests really make a difference in comfort ?

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Do these sloped armrests really make a difference in comfort ?

I like them and I find the position of my arms a little more comfortable but they don't make you a better watchmaker! Here's a photo of Roger Smith's workbench with not a pad in sight and look at the stuff he knocks out.

RogerSmithbench.jpg.d8448a8a3e1c70287598fd3da6a5827f.jpg

And here are the Struthers' workbenches. George Daniels never used armrests either.

Struthers.jpg.6fa6dd0ca89a06bc9c1e7617d00afd35.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jon said:

I like them and I find the position of my arms a little more comfortable but they don't make you a better watchmaker! Here's a photo of Roger Smith's workbench with not a pad in sight and look at the stuff he knocks out.

And here are the Struthers' workbenches. George Daniels never used armrests either.

I zoomed straight to the broken stem glass, i love tradition. 

40 minutes ago, Jon said:

Took these pictures from George's book.

20231230_135553.jpg

20231230_135439.jpg

20231230_135609.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Computer Arm Rest For Desk Ergonomic Wrist Rest Support For Keyboard Armrest Extender Rotating Mouse Pad Holder Adjustable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0xy6Iw

I have been using these for about five years and they are a great help. The shoulders are less tense and my hands are more stable. Looking a bit tired now. Probably time to reupholster them.