Hi.  The  obvious answer is carefully, depending how it fits, some easier than others I use my fingers ( cots on) and put it in on an angle and let it settle. If it’s a bit tight a piece of rodico and lower it in square on, never had a problem with either method, just don’t use bare hands.

• Like 1

Thank you both, gentlemen. As I understand it, with both methods the movement is actually "free falling" into the case, even though it is just a couple of milimeters. I though they might be some smart method which eliminates this "free fall" completely. So is it something that cannot be avoided? Am I too afraid of damaging the dial?

Edited by MartinOfPrague
Typo

9 minutes ago, MartinOfPrague said:

I though they might be some smart method which eliminates this "free fall" completely. So is it something that cannot be avoided? Am I too afraid of damaging the dial?

Not sure of a 'smart' method' but use the cushion, place the case over the movement and press the case into the cushion it a bit before you turn it over...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MartinOfPrague said:

Hello, can someone please advise a newbie on what is the recommended manner of putting  a movement back in the case, to prevent any damage of the dial edges?

As has been mentioned, dial on hands on, set, check fully for fouling through 24 hours and correct them, check calender and date functions correctly before placing the case and crystal over the dial and press down to close up some of the gap between the dial and inner case dial lip then spin over.  For front loaders, drop in carefully from above. As a side note some case mounting rings can be a total steward to get in afterwards, I've had a few that needed the ring on the movement first and then both placed together in the case.

• Like 3