58 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

opposite pivot is almost free.

Try lifting one side of the balance rim ( a bit more force than gentle and before you bent the pivot )   if the pivot doesn't jump out of the jewel hole, its likely to stay there in the event of a shock. 

This check if repeated will chip off bit of jewel hole on circumference, specially if the pivot has revitted, refer to neven's post  for pivot end revitted due to wear.

Edited by Nucejoe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• A Chaika 1601A based "Dupont" USSR era with a deep blue dial joins the 404 club. It needs a new crystal, which I probably have in my stash, but other than that, it needed nothing other than a clean and a new strap. The Chaika 1601A turns up regularly in Sekonda ladies watches from around the late seventies till the late eighties, although there seems to be some debate about when the Chaika 1601A went in to production, with some sites suggesting as late as 1985. It seems to me to be a much older design, with more in common with 1950s calibers than ones from the mid eighties.   It has slightly odd dimensions, for a gents watch, which I presume it is,  with 17mm lugs and a case size that would not look out of place on a 1950s watch. Its origins are a little unclear. Mikrolisk has a couple of suggestions.  Despite its diminutive size, the relatively large 1601A balance makes for a reasonably accurate little watch. It isn't likely to make COSC standars, but it runs pretty well for what it is.   As you can see the dial changes colour quite markedly depending on the light. Quite attractive, and well worth the four quid it cost.
    • These days I seldom ping parts (knock on wood!), and when I do I have a wonderful wife who helps me find them having the eyes of a hawk (bless her!). To me personally, it comes down to being relaxed, physically and mentally, and being patient, taking my time, which I can afford as an enthusiast. I constantly try to monitor my physical state of mind and body. When I become too tense, frustrated, or impatient I try to force myself to take a break, which, in itself can be frustrating at first. This, just like handling tools, takes practice.
    • I like the idea of using the rodico to manipulate the cap stone, especially during the oiling process. Just a little confused - since we use rodico to pull the capstone out of the chaton, it seems like it would be a challenge to remove the rodico from the chaton without pulling the two apart. 
    • Three of my lathes are setup for dedicated use. 1) primary turning (Levin), 2) graver sharpener (Peerless), 2) remote office general purpose (Peerless). I started with the two Peerless that my dad left me.  Kept searching for better precision and then discovered Levin and searched for that.  My Levin with cross slide and 4-jaw chuck, collet tailstock, also came from FB for $300...another good deal.
    • Back in the day you would always dry parts in sawdust; it soaks off the solvent (benzine, maybe alcohol) and avoids condensation. There were little boxes with a layer of sawdust at every bench. The "dust" part is misleading- more like dust-free micro wood chips.   This was still common, at least in the restoration end of things, when I was in school. If you brought something to the teacher to check that was clearly wrong, you might get away with it once, but after that your movement went in the sawdust. Meaning you got to take it all apart and reclean and oil it... so you got good at bringing things up that were worth the teacher's time, haha!.   I still use sawdust sometimes, but I didn't drop student's movements in it when I was teaching, and don't do it to the new guys at the workshop- though I have been pretty tempted. 🫢