No power to Pallet fork in my 7009a

I recently just took apart a 7009a movement that was working before I took it apart. It was around 240 seconds off a day and my goal was to try and lower it. This is the first watch I have ever repaired and have run into some trouble. I put the whole train of wheels back on and they all spun nicely however when I attached the pallet fork it did not have the snappiness that its supposed to. I went ahead and added the balance and it rotated back and forth a couple of degrees and let all of the wind out. Any advice on what is wrong or what to do to diagnose the problem would be much appreciated. Thanks

On 1/20/2024 at 8:13 AM, kmscott145 said:

. I went ahead and added the balance and it rotated back and forth a couple of degrees and let all of the wind out.

Can you please explain this, did all the wind discharge at once, like 100% to 0% in a second or two, or did the balance just stop? Biggest issue when starting out is damaging a pivot when putting the bridge back in place. Especially with the 7009s as the bridge covers everything at once, so a lot to line up at the same time. If you have damaged a pivot or one is not seated correctly the train will grind to a halt and starve the balance of power.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:39 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

We need photos. 

actually we need to fulfill the new years resolution to get a crystal ball and learn how to read it. Or perhaps read tea leaves as a way of diagnostic remotely.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, kmscott145 said:

I recently just took apart a 7009a movement that was working before I took it apart

now this is helpful information because we know that the watch was running before often times people tell us stuff like this and we don't know for dealing with a problem from before or a new problem.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, kmscott145 said:

This is the first watch I have ever repaired

one of the problems for people new to watch repair is a need to have practice on assembling and disassembling without things getting broken or for instance pivots that mysteriously disappear like on the pallet fork for instance. It's something that can be really difficult to put in for all of us and pivots tend to have a habit of falling off quite easily if you're not  super careful and when you're learning these the kind of mistakes that happen

I would start by disassembling remove the balance wheel and take out the pallet fork and see how it looks. In particular the pivots followed by the jewels.

On 1/20/2024 at 4:13 AM, kmscott145 said:

I put the whole train of wheels back on and they all spun nicely however when I attached the pallet fork it did not have the snappiness that its supposed to. I went ahead and added the balance and it rotated back and forth a couple of degrees and let all of the wind out. Any advice on what is wrong or what to do to diagnose the problem would be much appreciated. Thanks

Been there. Worn that Tshirt when I first started, so I know what you are going through.

On advice from the members, I removed the pallet fork and check the pivots. Being new, I had added pressure to the bridge and broken the pivots of the fork.  Did quite few in the first few month. All types of movements. Learned how to be gentle only by practice. Not damaged a pivot for over 18 month now.  If they are broken, they are broken. I can't fix them. But a least it is not by my heavy hands any more.

Don't worry. It gets better, and believe it or not, more and more interesting.

• Like 3