Would it be worth to buy the staking tool and to restore it?

On 1/18/2024 at 8:29 PM, Leni said:

Good Afternoon. 

I recently saw on ebay a staking set with some rust on it and with some punches beside of it. I was curious if there are the necessary  punches to  replace a balance wheel. Would it be worth to buy it and to restore it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/325969363277?hash=item4be549c14d:g:k2sAAOSwojplpIPH

I would apreciate an answer.

You would be much better looking for a bigger almost complete set from manufacturers such as K&D, Marshall or Star. Lots of information in this section to look at and digest.

Tom

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:29 PM, Leni said:

…I was curious if there are the necessary  punches to  replace a balance wheel. Would it be worth to buy it and to restore it?…

It is very important to have a broad variaty of punches and anvils (!) in the set. So the set should have about 40 pieces or more. Othervise you‘ll spend your time and money in finding and buying matching pieces later.

Edited by Kalanag

Hi Tom. All depends on the depth of your pocket, I have two small sets total cost under £100 with punches around 40 and the have done sterling work staffs and more. I agree if you are doing a lot of work like staffs etc then the larger sets are much more comprehensive but with that comes the price £150  to.  £ 350/400 mark for the better ones. Again it’s a personal choice. My small sets cover most bases and have done for many years. I like my tools to work for me.

• Like 1