Removing Condensation From Kenneth Cole Reaction

bacon1937

I'm relatively new to watch repair, but have recently acquired a box of old and modern watches to practice on so hopefully I'll be improving.

post-1434-0-29211300-1442004574_thumb.jp

This is actually a watch that I bought about 10 years ago, A while back condensation started building up in the face I believe this is due to a slight hairline crack/scratch in the face, although it could just be due to the seals going on it.

I have tried the methods of opening the stem/back and sitting it in a small jar with rice (carefully to make sure none got in the movement), this hasn't worked.

I have been attempting to figure out how to remove the movement and air the case out that way, I haven't been able to find information online for this particular model.

post-1434-0-95921900-1442004571_thumb.jppost-1434-0-87647000-1442004576_thumb.jppost-1434-0-98165400-1442004582_thumb.jppost-1434-0-07609200-1442004585_thumb.jp

I've successfully been able to remove the stem and back plate as mentioned, but the movement won't come out as there is a bezel/metal ring on the interior of the case between the face and where the back screws on.

If anyone has any ideas how I can do this I would be grateful.

post-1434-0-23051200-1442004580_thumb.jp

post-1434-0-60806500-1442004587_thumb.jp

post-1434-0-66263600-1442004589_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum Bacon!

It looks very much like the movement comes out of the front. You will have to remove the bezel complete with crystal, by inserting a blade in the joint between the case and bezel. I usually start using a single sided razor or Stanley blade to make the gap wide enough to allow a case knife to be used to pry it off.

Please be very careful and not lacerated yourself in the process.

Geo, your advice sounds good.  It seems to my amateur eye that it would be wise to leave the winding stem in place until the crystal and bezel are removed, to prevent the dial and works from accidentally dislodging or falling out as the crystal and bezel are removed.  Do you agree with that?

Ah!  I see your point, Geo.  Yes, I like your approach better than mine.  Since the watch will be dial side up as the crystal and bezel are removed, if the works fall out at that time, they'll fall only a tiny distance, flat onto to work table.  Thanks for the tip.

Eric

Success! Thanks for the great help, I actually thought that there might have front bezel, but it wouldn't budge with a case knife when i first tried it. After trying the stanley knife/ razor trick however it finally came loose.

post-1434-0-59965200-1442014476_thumb.jp

Unfortunately it has been very difficult to get the bezel + crystal back onto the watch now that i've got the condensation out and it still quite doesn't fit right (one side is slightly raised, but it stays on) I've tried it with the gasket and without. In trying to force the bezel back on, I managed chipped the crystal on the edge, that's not a major issue though as I was planning on getting a new crystal anyway. 

post-1434-0-56806000-1442014478_thumb.jp

Just out of interest is there a specific tool or method that would make that job easier? 

You will need a press as Swordfish says. Make sure that you use dies that exert pressure on the metal bezel and not on the glass as it will more than likely crack. This goes for the back too if it is a display back with glass. Also replace the stem seal and lubricate it with silicon grease, as this probably where the moisture got in in the first place.

I agree with the above from Geo & swordfish a tiny bit of silicone grease will help with the fitting & help with stopping water ingress.

There are some very reasonable presses on ebay. In fact see below (this is on the bay for £8.00 I still use one of these.

post-234-0-51429800-1442041492_thumb.png