Is something missing?

17 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have the left one yes ? Is there any evidence of the right thread hole ever  being used ?   It is possible the right jewel was swapped but the pivot would need to match the new jewel. Inspection of the pivot heights should give clues, is the top pivot hanging out or low in the jewel ?

Hi, yes I have the left one. The picture doesn’t really show it but the left one is flat and the right one has an oil sink. The threaded hole on the right doesn’t seem to have ever been used so I suppose it’s always been this way. I noticed a couple of coils on the balance spring were stuck together (probably me oiling the pallet stones poorly) so I re cleaned everything and it is now working!! Thank to you all I am now aware that even if there is a machining detail and threaded hole it doesn’t mean something was ever fitted! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Inspection of the pivot heights should give clues, is the top pivot hanging out or low in the jewel ?

Haven't read all posts on this topic in detail, but anyway, if the goal is to determine if a cap jewel is missing I would start having a look at the shape of the pivot as I'm under the impression that it would always(?) be conical for a jewel with a cap as illustrated and explained by @Jon.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Haven't read all posts on this topic in detail, but anyway, if the goal is to determine if a cap jewel is missing I would start having a look at the shape of the pivot as I'm under the impression that it would always(?) be conical for a jewel with a cap as illustrated and explained by @Jon.

Thanks watchie,  i did read that explanation from Jon an accurate way to determine if the set up is correct. Mine was from an experience 6 months ago of a missing endpiece plate, the top pivot didn't reach the top jewel. I had a big selection of endpieces and just needed to reposition the cap in the plate.

1 hour ago, Burruz said:

The threaded hole on the right doesn’t seem to have ever been used .

The threads might have shown some brass surface where the nickle was scrubbed out from the screw. 

• Like 1