Why are screwdrivers so skinny?

I have 2 sets of screwdrivers, one from Korea and one from AliExpress. Both sets have extremely skinny handles. The Korean ones measure 4.65mm, while the Chinese ones are only 4.55mm.

Whenever I encounter stubborn screws, it's a real pain to use such skinny handles. Bergeon has extra grip handles but they come with a Bergeon price. Imagine getting one each for the whole set of screwdrivers. 

Screenshot_20240105_152202_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.19c5c572d7088c530868387032d27019.jpg

So I decided to improvise. I got some brass motor couplings from AliExpress and used them for grips.

20240105_143325.thumb.jpg.c00116cc5df7f86682cb218dde7d5c3a.jpg

20240105_145612.thumb.jpg.63e4adf8e6869312a755bfdf872e08c1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi. I think Waggy is on the money, there is always the chance of over tightening screws even with watch drivers but less likely so with thinner handles as they do not afford a good torque unless you are conscious of the action.  I must admit as my hands get stiffer with age I had thought about beefing up the handles for a better grip. Hectors post gives good for thought for us older generation. Thanks Hector.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• …then again it could be a recase. 
    • As a child/young person, I remember how the police sometimes appeared in the middle of a country road and blocked off the traffic. A few minutes later, a fighter jet flew over our heads (loudly and respectfully, almost making us crap our pants), landed in front of us and was towed into the forest. It made us feel safe. I just realized that I've come a long way from demagnetizing watch movements, but isn't that the charm of associations and discussions? Anyway, I'll stick to the topic from here on! Yeah, we decided to stop developing nukes in the late 50s and spend the money on conventional weapons instead. Oops, sorry moderators, I seem to have a problem controlling myself. No more now. I promise.
    • Hi everyone Anyone have any ideas what this caliber is? Is it a genuine B & M as I understand the market is flooded with copies? Thanks.
    • You know it H Ours was scrapped early 60s. Nothing wrong with joining the army H , i would have love the physical and discipline side of it, but i can't follow or be lead by numpties.
    • That's exactly why you need to exercise, or you'll meet with an untimely death! 😉 Well, good thing you weren't born in my neck of the woods then as you would have no choice. Back in the day when it was time for my service (early 80s) this small country could mobilize 800,000 soldiers in a few days, and mobilization supplies with modern weapons and munitions were everywhere and we had an air force second to none. Then beginning in the 90s it was scrapped because our politicians decided that Russia would become a Western democracy. In discussions with colleagues, friends and acquaintances where I mentioned I thought it was imprudent to scrap our capacity for self-defense, I was laughed at. I wonder if anyone of those people would laugh today.