Hi there, Bob,

Yes, I am some-what surprised at the lack of response to my request for help.

I know that there is a machine that the Jacot tool can be used with, but there just has to be another (Cheaper) way of achieving the same result.

Never mind, I will use the 'trial and error' method.

Hopefully, the balance staff pinion will not meet the same demise as the one it has replaced!

If it does.........not a problem. I will simply pick myself up, dust myself off and say "oh dear!"

Len.

• Like 1

Hi there, Bob,

Yes, I am some-what surprised at the lack of response to my request for help.

I know that there is a machine that the Jacot tool can be used with, but there just has to be another (Cheaper) way of achieving the same result.

Never mind, I will use the 'trial and error' method.

Hopefully, the balance staff pinion will not meet the same demise as the one it has replaced!

If it does.........not a problem. I will simply pick myself up, dust myself off and say "oh dear!"

Len.

Sorry Len I missed you post. When removing / polishing a staff always remember you can take it away but to can not put it back. Therefore I use a burnisher with oil & slowly remove the material. You will see the oil changes colour which is the tiny amounts of metal that are being removed.

Here's a video showing a burnisher being used with a Jacot tool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-qZklkLO2M

This process will remove a very small amount of metal, but the main reason for using it is to work harden the surface of the pivot and give a very hard mirror finish. If you just use an Arkansas stone to remove the the excess metal without burnishing, you will remove metal, but will not get the hardened surface that is required to prevent premature wear of the pivot when in use.