What would you do?

I know this is more or less the same repeat post as others have made… but what would you do with this?IMG_6700.thumb.jpeg.be60c741f4e4440a9a61701bf5004d81.jpeg

As you can see the varnish is already peeling off, the lettering is also peeling off / can almost been blown away with a puffer.

I am tempted to just wash it as a clean generic dial (all print gone) will look better than leaving this as is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColinC said:

I know this is more or less the same repeat post as others have made… but what would you do with this?IMG_6700.thumb.jpeg.be60c741f4e4440a9a61701bf5004d81.jpeg

As you can see the varnish is already peeling off, the lettering is also peeling off / can almost been blown away with a puffer.

I am tempted to just wash it as a clean generic dial (all print gone) will look better than leaving this as is.

These thin varnished  dials are a pain, I've tried to restore a few and in better condition than this. They have a light sunburst affect to them, even a cotton bud the wrong way across it can leave fine scratches. Use it as a project to airbrush a colour to it,  someone here attached a stamp to dial a while back, it looked bloody awesome, cant remember who it was Andyhull possibly ? or he might know who did it.

Three things with this sort of dial. 1 you leave it be, but the movement will more then likely pick up what is peeling of the dial so the movement will probably stop. 2 you pay a lot of money and have the dial restored. 3 you look for a replacement dial. 

• Like 1

I had a go at cleaning it right back - it is still a little pitted but the battons shine and the starburst effect is still there.

I have a very similar watch in gold plate - perhaps I can photograph it and make some decals? (never tried this before…)

IMG_6707.jpeg

Edited by ColinC
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my printer resolution is not high enough to print the decals as I hoped. My laser printer does 600dpi

Here is a zoomed in shot of a print at the right size on paper - I don't expect a decal to look any better!
image.thumb.png.88a6160c824c82077e740c56061e1801.png

It all looked OK as a PNG file
image.thumb.png.603dcc7fbf4b28649eb758330c0f006d.png

• Like 1