Hello from Vienna

geebee82

A quick Hello from Vienna!

I am Georg, 41 years old and by profession a recording engineer, who recently found the new hobby of repairing mechanical watches, mainly old Seikos.

I am still very green behind my ears and have still a lot to learn, especially how much or rather little force to use if something needs to be pushed on...

But so fahr, I already got a few dead watches revived, and I am very much looking forward to expand my knowledge and dive deeper into the world of horology.

Cheers

Georg

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Oh Georg how lucky you are. Austria is my favorite country. I fell in love with it way back in the 70’s. I have been to  Vienna and had a wonderful time. The Salzkammergut is the part I have had holidays in St Wolfgang is the place I stayed at.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Just speaking for myself, I started buying relatively inexpensive watches that I liked the look of on eBay and fixing those up. I learned something new with every one. Then it turned out I really started enjoying Bulova movements and 70s styling, so it moved my focus in that direction. I got into Bulova Accutrons because my mom gave me her late father's, which she bought him new in 1973. Before I worked on that, I found some eBay movements to practice on until I could get my confidence up. So I guess my advice is start looking around for things to fix that you would enjoy, without the pressure of working on a family heirloom. Having watches around that you've fixed and can pop on your wrist is super rewarding and will help keep you interested.
    • 😄 i wasn't being serious Rich, as cheap as it was and I've not actually finished with it yet, the drill stand needs a wooden base attaching and the whole thing spinning around so there is more height available for some deeper better square ribbed jars that should provide a bit more agitation. Yep as cheap as it is i would put it against any basic machine, its only one way so i have to find other ways to ramp up the turbulence, but i can't fault the finished cleaning results at all, especially with the switch to a parafin clean , hell that stuff lifts dirt like nobody's business. 
    • I really don't want to be responsible for any damage to the watch but the screws could be under the bezel spring. 
    • The mystery has been solved.  Geotex was correct.  As I had mentioned, I had ordered a bezel removal tool to see if that would work.  While I was attempting to remove the bezel, the already cracked crystal cracked some more and fell off.  As I was shaking out the loose pieces from the dial, the dial tipped and came halfway out of the crystal opening, stopped only by the split stem still being place.  At that point  I decided to fully commit to the side-cutting plier approach to popping off the crown and stem.  One good firm prying move and it came right off.   see attached pics.  That was last night.  The watch is now fixed and awaiting a new crystal and band.  The case is in fact, a one piece case.   The crumbling crystal revealed a near perfect beautiful dial.  I’m keeping this one.  Thank you to ALL for you time and advice!
    • Attached are images of the watch from various angles. I’m still interested in unraveling the mystery of how the case back is opened, although I probably won’t attempt it any time soon.   The little bent metal under the bezel is I believe part of the mechanism for the unidirectional winding bezel. Perhaps that can be pulled off somehow to reveal screws below, but it’s hard for me to imagine that removing that metal ring is the way to open the watch. That metal ring doesn’t look like it’s meant to be removed in a regular service.   the other images show that there are gaps between the case back and the case. I do suspect it needs to be rotated to come off, but I’m not adventurous enough to attempt trail an error on this watch.