Wittnauer Chrono, How to remove this dial?

We will need a picture of the movement.

Quite a lot of movements (especially older ones) have dial feet that are held in place by screws that are accessed on the back of the movement, not on the side. If this is one of those and you try levering it of as though it is a friction fit you will not be happy with the result.

• Like 2

Hey all

First, thanks for all the replies. Second, I’m familiar with all manner of dial attachments. There are no eccentric screws for holding down the dial feet. This is a Venus 188 chronograph movement. I’m looking for someone with experience working on this movement.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, DBROWN said:

Don't panic everybody.  The movement is going to be cleaned, after which I wear gloves.   The dial has a very intact layer of varnish and has since been cleaned and safely stored.  This is not my first rodeo.

I understand, but way back in the day I finger handled some parts thinking they'll get cleaned straight away and just a few days later there was "tarnish". At least don't show pics holding parts in fingers to avoid this discussion haha  (I still touch parts with skin sometimes but only if I'm really sure it's getting cleaned straight away).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• These are the places where I oiled with HP 1300...  These are the places where I oiled with HP 1300...  I can see that the cannon pinion is moving as it should once I installed the pallet fork. I created a small video but was not able to upload it. It is a mov file type. I need now to source a GR4014X mainspring, a stop ever #9433 and both calendar disc as the days/dates are peeling out... This is the mido watch which holds the ETA Movement.... I just want to thanks all of you guys for your help, specially @eccentric59 who nailed it! So, I would consider this case as closed unless of course any question from any of you... Best regards Fernando     I could not download the file... I will tray to located. Many thanks. 
    • Thanks a lot everyone!  I'll update you as soon as a final decision has been made by my friend (and depending on her decision, what I may find inside). 
    • Thanks Marc, clearly I have a lot to learn about metallurgy. I’d expect the cutting of tool or spring steel to be a lot harder to cut into a precise shape- I expect I’d have to anneal it first? 
    • Unfortunately if you have used mild steel you will have little hope of hardening and tempering it, it simply doesn't contain enough carbon. You need to use a steel with a higher carbon content like tool steel or spring steel. One good source for this is engineers feeler gauges which can be picked up relatively inexpensively and provide a range of thicknesses of material. this will then harden and temper in pretty much the way you have described.
    • Thanks for this excellent tutorial and very fine illustrations @Jon! Really first class! 👍 I noticed that your image was a bit too small to read with ease, so here's a larger copy of it. I summarized @nickelsilver's method for adjusting beat errors to the following, but you can find all the info in the thread I linked to: “For everyday work, from the smallest ladies’ movements to marine chronometer, I set the balance with the cock on a bench block so the roller table is in a hole, balance on the block. Lift up the cock and move it over- not flipping it, just moving laterally, until I can see the slot in the hairspring collet, get in there and adjust (for tiny watches this is usually with an oiler, larger, a small screwdriver). Go back in the watch and check on the machine. I hold a balance arm of the rim with tweezers while moving the collet.”