Cleaning Train Of Wheel Teeth's

Many time I have run into this on older movements and that is  surface rust on the train of wheels teeth's even after pulling them from my watch cleaning machine. I end up cleaning them under my  microscope using a old oiler and whatever else. This takes time depending on how bad it is and was wondering what other do since we know this has to be cleaned. 

26 minutes ago, wudce said:

Many time I have run into this on older movements and that is  surface rust on the train of wheels teeth's even after pulling them from my watch cleaning machine. I end up cleaning them under my  microscope using a old oiler and whatever else. This takes time depending on how bad it is and was wondering what other do since we know this has to be cleaned. 

On the brass wheels ?

40 minutes ago, wudce said:

I should has said not on the brass wheels since brass don't rust but on metal teeth's them self.

Rust residue from the pinion and leaves could spread onto the train wheels.

44 minutes ago, wudce said:

I should has said not on the brass wheels since brass don't rust but on metal teeth's them self.

Perhaps a picture to show us what you mean wudce.

Here what I'm talking about. It's  surface rust not the kind that's eaten into the metal, I know if it had I need to replace it. This a center wheel from a movement I'm working on and it had this on there before I put it into my cleaning machine. This can be clean off but takes some time to do so. 

2020_0713_075854_004.JPG

• 2 months later...