Citizen Crystron Solar Cell - Access to dial?

Hello everybody,
I was looking for a watch forum and found the WRT. The friendly and useful discussions I saw, convinced me, that this is the right place for me and my questions (and hopefully my contributions) concerning watch repairs.

My name is Martin, I am 60 years old and live with my family in Bonn, Germany.

After the fitness tracker and smart watch hype also attracted me for a while, I recently rediscovered the many watches, I acquired or inherited over the decades and now I wear a different one every day 🙂. One of my oldest watches is a Citizen Crystron Solar Cell wrist watch from 1976. It is working perfectly, still there is one thing, I would like to fix: The lume on the dial and the hands is worn and I would like to relume them. A modest fix, I am confident to perform :). Also the solar cells have grown damp a little, so I'd like to clean them. I was able to open the back and remove the winding stem, but now I do not see, how to get the movement out of the case. The movement sits firm and I didn't dare to use any force to get it out. As I was also unable to find a technical manual for this watch in the internet (not even at archive.org), I hope, that someone in this forum can give me a hint of how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Photos always help. 

You are absolutely right. I am sorry. So here are some which show, what my problem is.

In Citizen_back_1 you see the movement sitting inside the case directly covered by a white plastic ring. The ring seems to be fixed under the ring of the watch case (inner blue line). So I don't think the whole plastic ring can be pulled out. At the four red arrows there are clips which seem to hold the movement, but I was unable to bend them. In citizen_clip, one of the clips is shown in more detail. In citizen_clip_2 I show, what I suppose must be done. Get a tool between the movement and the clip (blue arrow) and bend it outside (green arrow). I tried this with a small screwdriver, but the clip didn't move in the slightest way. And because I don't want to break a clip, I hope, someone can give me a hint, what better tool to use. Maybe, this isn't even the right way to get the movement out.

Citizen_back_1.jpg

citizen_clip.jpg

citizen_clip_2.jpg

Look down the hole near the stem.  Most likely there is a place to press down with a sharp tool like a needle.  While pressing, the stem will release. 

Show a picture of the front of the watch please.  Is there a front bezel?  I have a citizen eco drive that has a front bezel.  The movement may come out the front.  A picture will help us.

Hi Martin  without a caliber number I searched around, one used cailber in the crystron was the 8629A so I fished out two tech sheets, the  8600 and the 8627 in the hope they may offer a little help.  can to also post pictures of the front and sides as well as another of the movement without the glare. as LWS said it mat be a front loader hence the reason for the extra pictures.  thank you.

8600.pdf 8627.pdf

12 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Here is the front view of the watch. There are two slots between the upper and the lower bezel. I took them for defects...

citizen_front.jpg

citizen_slot_2.jpg

citizen_slot_1.jpg

12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi LittleWatchShop,

I found the button which releases the stem and was able to take the stem out. Thank you for the hint. After that, the movement can now slightly be moved to the left and right, but otherwise sits firm in the white plastic ring. But maybe there is a another button, which I have to press to be able to rotate the movement more?

@watchweasol: Thank you for the documents. Your guesses were really close. The caliber is an 8609A.
Sadly, the documentation gives no hint to how to get the movement out of the case and I fear, the document for the 8609A will be no exception.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi watchweasol,

"The two slots are indeed pry points for removing the bezel"
YEEEEES! The case is open! The entry point is indeed the front bezel. I succeeded with the one at 6 o'clock. And I even managed to open it without too many scratches 🙂.

Many thanks to all of you, who helped my with this!
Now I will continue and make this nice watch shine again.
Next problem might be, to get the bezel back into it's place, I guess 🙂.

citizen_open_front.jpg

😅

citizen_dekonstructed.jpg

19 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi watchwasol,

yes, your are right. I have already tried to get the bezel pressed back on, but failed. So I will order such a tool. I will surely have enough work for it, as there are several watches with backs to press back on.

Again, thanks for your help. I will occasionally post my lume experiences here.

• Like 1