Loose Center Wheel?

I took apart my pocket watch today, which would just spin the hands very fast when wound. I looked at the Center Wheel, and noticed that if I apply a little pressure from the top on the Center wheel on the mainspring side, it would grip onto the mainspring and wind. What is wrong? The Center wheel doesn’t seem to have a jewel, but a metal “bearing”. 

1 hour ago, Markus080607 said:

I took apart my pocket watch today

Unfortunately the word pocket watch is a very very very huge category of watches and we need a little more to go on. Maybe background history of your pocket watch what was it doing before it started misbehaving. Then definitely pictures to narrow down what it is as not only is it a very huge category but it spans a very huge time are we talking vintage modern we need pictures and better description.

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Unfortunately the word pocket watch is a very very very huge category of watches and we need a little more to go on. Maybe background history of your pocket watch what was it doing before it started misbehaving. Then definitely pictures to narrow down what it is as not only is it a very huge category but it spans a very huge time are we talking vintage modern we need pictures and better description.

I also took a video of a bit more details, but wasn’t able to upload it. I can send it on gmail, WhatsApp or something else if anyone needs it! 

60E69A7F-2EC1-4BFC-A1A2-04A2AD452C33.jpeg

5103D1AC-4DAC-4A33-B9C1-8F14E603471C.jpeg

4 hours ago, Markus080607 said:

took apart my pocket watch today

When you're taking a pocket watches apart is there a reason for it? In other words is there a problem that you're trying to fix or what

4 hours ago, Markus080607 said:

which would just spin the hands very fast when wound. I looked at the Center Wheel, and noticed that if I apply a little pressure from the top on the Center wheel on the mainspring side, it would grip onto the mainspring and wind. What is wrong? The Center wheel doesn’t seem to have a jewel, but a metal “bearing”. 

We need a full picture of the movement not bits and pieces. Otherwise you'll be unhappy with the answers we give you. As you took the watch apart how but giving us a picture of the center wheel? In other words the center wheel out of the watch. Then yes some watches don't have jewels some do it depends on the watch that's what I meant by that is literally thousands of variations of pocket watches.

So we really need a picture the center wheel out of the watch

otherwise as I said we can guess like if this was an American pocket watch there would be a reason for this but I doubt it applies to this watch.

12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

When you're taking a pocket watches apart is there a reason for it? In other words is there a problem that you're trying to fix or what

We need a full picture of the movement not bits and pieces. Otherwise you'll be unhappy with the answers we give you. As you took the watch apart how but giving us a picture of the center wheel? In other words the center wheel out of the watch. Then yes some watches don't have jewels some do it depends on the watch that's what I meant by that is literally thousands of variations of pocket watches.

So we really need a picture the center wheel out of the watch

otherwise as I said we can guess like if this was an American pocket watch there would be a reason for this but I doubt it applies to this watch.

I can’t get the canon pinion off, so I can’t disconnect the Center Wheel. Could that be linked to the issue? 

3EE75906-D6E0-466C-8778-7E79FE965537.jpeg

1 hour ago, Markus080607 said:

I can’t get the canon pinion off, so I can’t disconnect the Center Wheel. Could that be linked to the issue? 

On the discussion group like this when you run into a problem you could ask for for help like oh dear I don't know how to remove this? Then the suitable pictures we can verify something as opposed to I get the guests and let's see how good I am at guessing based on the age of your watch.

On the other side in the picture that we don't have doesn't look something like this? In other words smooth sides probably a protruding pin?

image.png.0d002f5a9dccf1472c765f2156519927.png

A lot of times on the other side it will look something like this where you have to look really carefully to see that there is a pin and that has to be removed to get the Canon pinion off

image.png.5537e25e3e15b11d8fd3ab6f99611c3f.png

In the evolution of these components at one time this would've had key setting the key would either go on the front side or the backside here's an image of key set on the backside. Now while yours is not a key set the principle is the same there is a pin that goes through the center wheel and holds the Canon pinion on at least that's my guess based on the lack of pictures and your inability to remove the Canon pinion because it is not a normal Canon pinion which is still subject to me making a guess due to lack of pictures

image.png.15d6ba19d06dee2c04f28711ba9455dd.png

Here's a picture of a book that should represent what you have once we verified that is what you have I will explain how to take the pin out

image.png.cd983aaea4b95d4c9b8250f008555184.png

Oh and typically make repairs you need to take the watch back out of the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1