Aspiring Watchmaker

garrettwp

Hello all! My name is Garrett and located in PA, USA. I've been into watches since I was a child and in my mid 20's (Currently 39) wanted to get into watch restoration and maintenance / repair. In the early 2000's, I decided to take a few online courses on servicing an eta 2801 as well as joined the NAWCC. I bought some basic watch tools as I was still in college and working as an intern, so money had priorities elsewhere. I was hooked, but turned off on the expense it was required to acquire the necessary tools. My backup plan while I was starting my career (IT / High Performance Computing) was to go to watch making school. Well 15+ years later my career took off for the best and I am now at a point in my life that I have income to spend money on good tools to get back into the hobby as I put off working on watches during that time to focus on other areas of my life and hobbies. 

I have a pretty nice watch collection (to me) and also like to collect pocket watches. My admiration for pocket watches is due to the art, ingenuity, and craftsmanship that went into them. They are truly a beauty to be hold. My focus right now is to start learning on pocket watches to service and repair as needed and then move to the smaller watch movements. The past month or two, I have been slowly picking up tools with the hopes of starting to service my first pocket watch (Waltham Model 1892 Appleton Tracey 17j) that was from my grandparents after they had passed. Before I start work on that, I will be practicing on a few cheap seagull st3600 movements.

I apologize for the rambling, but in the end, just wanted to say hi and hope to be an active member of the forum (even if it is just lirking). I have been a huge fan of Mark Lovic's youtube channel for many years and plan on signing up for his courses.

- Garrett

• Like 2

Some quick and dirty shots of my current collection.

20230921_143404.thumb.jpg.a6a27d2216960583fc99dc8f41a36102.jpg

From Left to Right:

Waltham Appleton Tracey Model 1897 that was inherited from my grandparents. Needs to be serviced and restored.

Hamilton 992B

Bottom three were recently acquired and will be serviced as well when I get the courage.

Hamilton 992 16s 21j in salesman dase

Illinois Bunn Special 16s 21j in salesman case

Elgin Father Time 16s 21j in salesman case

20230921_143532.thumb.jpg.de5dcaf0b8f47d462bca38dd468c04cf.jpg

As you can see, my area of collection is focused on salesman case watches. Which I have always been fascinated by and love to be able to look at the craftsmanship of the movements.

My watch collection:

20230921_143913.thumb.jpg.b88488eec219fa585c461e49855a9ba0.jpg

Frome left to rignt:

Omega Speedmaster Professional

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Stowa Antea Klassik

Longines Master Collection

Damasko DC56

Christopher Ward C9 Moonphase

Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve

Christopher Ward C9 Harrison 5-Day

20230921_144034.thumb.jpg.7881d4ff4643b53b5cc80b1824bb185b.jpg

From left to right:

Bulova Lunar Pilot

Archemede Pilot 42

Seagull Nomor / Stowa homage

Hamilton Khaki King

Luminox

Invicta Diver - ETA 2824

Unmarked watch built using ETA2801 when I did my watch course some years ago using parts from Ofei, etc

Davosa with Unitas 6497

Citizen Nighthawk

- Garrett

Edited by garrettwp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garrettwp said:

Some quick and dirty shots of my current collection.

20230921_143404.thumb.jpg.a6a27d2216960583fc99dc8f41a36102.jpg

From Left to Right:

Waltham Appleton Tracey Model 1897 that was inherited from my grandparents. Needs to be serviced and restored.

Hamilton 992B

Bottom three were recently acquired and will be serviced as well when I get the courage.

Hamilton 992 16s 21j in salesman dase

Illinois Bunn Special 16s 21j in salesman case

Elgin Father Time 16s 21j in salesman case

20230921_143532.thumb.jpg.de5dcaf0b8f47d462bca38dd468c04cf.jpg

As you can see, my area of collection is focused on salesman case watches. Which I have always been fascinated by and love to be able to look at the craftsmanship of the movements.

My watch collection:

20230921_143913.thumb.jpg.b88488eec219fa585c461e49855a9ba0.jpg

Frome left to rignt:

Omega Speedmaster Professional

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Stowa Antea Klassik

Longines Master Collection

Damasko DC56

Christopher Ward C9 Moonphase

Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve

Christopher Ward C9 Harrison 5-Day

20230921_144034.thumb.jpg.7881d4ff4643b53b5cc80b1824bb185b.jpg

From left to right:

Bulova Lunar Pilot

Archemede Pilot 42

Seagull Nomor / Stowa homage

Hamilton Khaki King

Luminox

Invicta Diver - ETA 2824

Unmarked watch built using ETA2801 when I did my watch course some years ago using parts from Ofei, etc

Davosa with Unitas 6497

Citizen Nighthawk

- Garrett

Nice collection you have there, especially those pocket watches. I see you have some Christopher Ward watches. I'm currently in talks with them to produce a detailed service manual and a set of lessons to teach to their watchmakers for their in-house movement, The SH21 twin barrel that they put in the C60 Abyss. Where can you get an in-house movement in a watch for less than £2500? I'll tell you... Know where! 

I was told by their head watchmaker, that when servicing the C9 Moonphase, the moon part breaks 50% of the time as it is so fragile.

10 minutes ago, Jon said:

Nice collection you have there, especially those pocket watches. I see you have some Christopher Ward watches. I'm currently in talks with them to produce a detailed service manual and a set of lessons to teach to their watchmakers for their in-house movement, The SH21 twin barrel that they put in the C60 Abyss. Where can you get an in-house movement in a watch for less than £2500? I'll tell you... Know where! 

I was told by their head watchmaker, that when servicing the C9 Moonphase, the moon part breaks 50% of the time as it is so fragile.

Are they working on the moon phase to make it less fragile ?

2 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Are they working on the moon phase to make it less fragile ?

No, as it is cheaper to replace the broken ones rather than the development and production of new ones that won't break. The way of the world, I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

A newbie and you're making us jealous, hehe.  Nice collection. 

34 minutes ago, Jon said:

Thank you all. I've worked hard to own what I have and appreciate every moment of it. For the pocket watches, I hope to own more to the collection, want to keep the history going with such beautiful timepieces. I hope my son can appreciate them as much as I do some day.

I hope the C9 will hold up, I do not wear it often, but have always been a fan of moonphase and complicated calendar movements. I do like the new Moonglow version that Christopher Ward has out.

• Like 1