Help with mantle clock

tyl

Hi. Most natural causes of overwinding are jammed movements due to dirt , congealed oil and the like. What we have here is that the watch was wound beyond its capability, in other words the ratchet broke . Could easily been some other part of the keyless work that broke the result would have been the same.     Ithink we can consider both terms as “ overwound” In a sense as the watch was rendered unusable by the owner mis treating the watch.  In terms of OVERWOUND.  Both are correct.

• Like 1

Hi. With due respect the clock is a different animal, it’s way more robust and of a different construction and materials which are able to stand greater strain. But having seen some spring ends literally torn back and broken I some times wondered who wound it, perhaps a gorilla. I think they wind it up then one for luck?. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. With due respect the clock is a different animal, it’s way more robust and of a different construction and materials which are able to stand greater strain. But having seen some spring ends literally torn back and broken I some times wondered who wound it, perhaps a gorilla. I think they wind it up then one for luck?. 

Yes I know what you mean. 😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Posting in proper section:  The mantel clock is running well but must be lifted on two pennies on the right side.  I believe I can fix this by loosening the entire clockwork and twisting it a bit when I let the right side down.

To Oldhippy, Watchwesol, Hectorlooi, Transporter, RichardHarris123 and others who have helped me over this last year with the carriage clock, mantel clock, and tallcase clock - wishes for a great Christmas and hopes that 2024 will be a great year for each of you; prosperity and good health and close family.

Thank you all again for such excellent assistance to put these clocks back in shape again.  I could have not done this without your guidance and it is much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Mantel clock has run well now for several months.  However I am getting more picky.  The bookcase wherein it sits is slightly unlevel.  To make the clock run I have four pennies under the front right foot and it looks quite bad (to me).  The pics attempt to show a gap of about 5/16 inch necessary to make it run.

Conundrum - leave it this way or attempt to fit it to the bookcase.

Logic says I can loosen the two back retaining screws, remove the pennies, and twist the clock in the opposite direction - making adjustments until it is happy again.  However it seems that the dial would then be cockeyed with the 12 and six in a position to affront the eyes.

So should I leave the pennies under the front foot or attempt to fit the clock to the bookcase?  Or perhaps have I done something wrong getting it to run - also a possibility.  Cannot see how a clockmaker would be so imprecise that it will not run unless it is lifted up.

Appreciate your thoughts.  Pics attached.

Mantel clock not level.jpg

Mantel clock not level2.jpg

Hi. The antique nature of the secretarie and the shelf makes it impossible to adjust. Adjusting the clock to suit the shelf is ok if it remains in the same place. Depending on the type of movement even that could be a pain in as much as the dial alignment.  I have the same problem with my 400 day clocks. Setup and working on the bench, when put in the cabinet they stop as it’s not level so unless I set every clock to the shelf they won’t go so they remain stopped.    I would be tempted to leave well alone, ok not perfect but working.

How about a small plinth of dark stained wood, just big enough for the clock feet or frame, with either an overall taper or wedges adjusted to level the top and then glued under the edge as needed? 

Add some self-adhesive felt or baize once it is set up, to avoid scratching the top of the cabinet.

It should be virtually invisible on top of the cabinet, from what I can see in the photos.

(There are places on ebay that sell eg. Oak offcuts planed to 8mm or 10mm, which are perfect for making small stuff like that).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Excellent feedback.  Going to give it some thought. Wife likes the clock in the secretaire so not going there.

I did take it down and shorten the pendulum recently and it took over a week of tweaking to get it to run again.  At this point I am considering letting well enough alone.

Will return and appreciate the suggestions. Again.

Edited by tyl
  • Like 1