I’m currently working on a Weslbro watch and when I disassembled everything I realized the case was not you typical design.  There is no crown tube and it doesn’t appear like this was designed to have one.  Anyone ever see a case like this?  How would you fit the crown?

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

IMG_1664.jpeg

IMG_1665.jpeg

I have a number of "two-piece" cases like that, where the case "back" has high sides which surround the movement and fit onto the upper case.  There's never a case tube.  Put the two halves together correcly and all you will get is a round stem hole.   

All the ones I have with this kind of case are very cheap pin-lever watches.  Usually something from Bradley or Splendor or the like.  Mine are all parts-movements so I haven't bothered fitting stems with them, but I could see it being a challenge. 

Look at the case together the hole isn't round. Ether a tube is missing or someone has filed part of the case away. No way would you have a hole that big for the stem and button, there is a part or parts missing. The amount of dirt that would get in is crazy. Even a dust proof  button would be useless. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike78 said:

I’m currently working on a Weslbro watch and when I disassembled everything I realized the case was not you typical design.  There is no crown tube and it doesn’t appear like this was designed to have one.  Anyone ever see a case like this?  How would you fit the crown?

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

IMG_1664.jpeg

IMG_1665.jpeg

I have lots of two piece cases where each has just half of a hole to fit around the stem, no water or dustproofing at all. But the hole in this is huge .

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Look at the case together the hole isn't round. Ether a tube is missing or someone has filed part of the case away. No way would you have a hole that big for the stem and button, there is a part or parts missing. The amount of dirt that would get in is crazy. Even a dust proof  button would be useless. 

For this one, I think you're right; I think someone filed the hole bigger.  Maybe for a crown that had a larger shaft on it or something.  But yeah, these cheapo cases aren't good for keeping anything out.  None of them come with tubes.  The cheap pin lever movements have always been filthy when I found them.

• Like 1

I think you guys are right.  Now that I look at it closely it does look like someone filed the case back.  The opening isn’t round.  The movement is an AS 1002 movement which is quite nice looking in my opinion so I’d like to try and figure out a solution to this problem.  

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?   Solder a tube in place?

IMG_1162.png

Ah, that is a much more upscale movement than what I usually see in that kind of case.  I think some former owner has been building "frankenwatches".  I am not sure how to advise here, except maybe to say that it may be easier to try to find a better-fitting case.  The reason the filing was probably done was likely because the original movement was a different thickness and therefore the stem would not line up with the hole.  It's hard fitting a watch in a case.  You could have the right diameter to hold the movement, and the dial could seat well, but if the movement is too thick or thin then the stem will be off.  If the cannon pinion is too tall then the hands will rub.  Plenty to go wrong.  Some former owner may have been trying to find a new home for a favorite movement, and just picked the worst possible case for the job, so he got out his files, and may have been cursing the whole time for all we know.  It's starting to look that way anyway.

I can see this being a possibility now.  Any searches I have done for Welsbro watches shows all watches with a standard looking case.  The lugs on this case are quite unique 

I think I will service the watch and try to find a case which will be a challenge in itself. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 4:07 PM, KarlvonKoln said:

For this one, I think you're right; I think someone filed the hole bigger.  Maybe for a crown that had a larger shaft on it or something.  But yeah, these cheapo cases aren't good for keeping anything out.  None of them come with tubes.  The cheap pin lever movements have always been filthy when I found them.

oddly enough the stem was broken when I took the movement apart