Help with winding a Smith Enfield Grandmother clock

Kate

Hi everyone, I’m new here. Looking after a house with a Smith Enfield Grandmother clock. It wound down before I could find the key. Then when I wound it up again and set the hands back to the correct time, it will not tick. Please could someone give me some advice? 

You should never turn clock hands back when it is a striking or a chiming clock, because you will jam up the strike/chiming works and this will stop the clock Is there enough power on the strike and chime side? You need to check first. Is there a chime and silent this is normally at the three on the dial right side, if so turn it to silent then back to chime and see if it starts chiming or striking. Let me know after you have tried this.  

Thanks so much. I wound all three up once it had wound down with the key. I then moved the minute hand forwards to catch up to the correct time and initially skipped over without letting it chime. I then looked on Google and it said to try turning the minute hand back a bit then bring it forward and allowing it to chime. I did this and it still is not ticking or going at all. The chime switch is set to on, and if I move the minute hand to the quarter hour, it still chimes correctly when it reaches it. But no ticking.