Jax 1930s clock

gary17

hey guys never messed around with a clock before, Wandering were i can get some general info on them. The clock i am  starting from is a french 1930s mantle clock it has Jax on the dial , Cannot see maker mark on movement. Thought this would be easy after doing watches, but i am wrong. Got the movement out and i just do not no which screws or parts i need to remove first.

Any youtube or anything that may help apppreciated,

cheers

gary

Hi Gary,  first remember to let down the power of the mainsprings before attempting to do anything,  Normally I would remove the barrel bridge and the barrels ,  then the balance assy ,  It looks like it may be a cylinder balance so be very careful when doing so. Then the train bridge and wheels. Turn over and take plenty of picture# of the front and the levers, and Homer before removing anything.  This clock looks to have fixed arbours the way they are riveted at the front, it may/maynot have open springs one can’t tell from the pictures, post some more pictures when the plates are removed for further help.

Hi Richard , basically the age of it and the style of the balance rim, it may well be a pin pallet but it it’s indestinct in the picture , I mentioned it because if it is it would be irreplaceable as a balance and persons capable of repairing them are at a premium not only that costly so extra care required .

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply it was some problem with the forum yesterday according to Mark. You should first remove the balance and put it out of the way. You can let the alarm spring down just by setting the alarm. The mainspring can be let down by the means of putting the key back on the arbor, hold the key firmly in you hand as if you are going to wind it and and with your other hand and and a piece of thick peg wood or a screwdriver move the click away from the ratchet and let the key slip in your hand  until all power is off. Take plenty of photos this will help you. Remove the alarm plate and all its workings, look for signs of wear. Them remove the main plate and do the same, you are looking for damage to wheels pay attention to pivots they must all be smooth, look for wear in holes, put each wheel in its place and see if the pivots move about from side to side, if they do you will need to re-bush them. The springs need to be removed from there barrels and do not muddle them up keep them away from each other. If the springs look out of shape they should be replaced. If you have a watch cleaning machine you can clean the movement in that, if not then hand cleaning is all you can do. 

You don't need to take those parts off. The hairspring looks worse then it is. Have you done any hairspring work? First you need to unravel it, Use a pin or a fine oilier, start near the collet and work out. Then take a photo so I can see it. 

• Like 1